Author Topic: 1987 Silverado ashtray insert  (Read 2090 times)

Offline erix993

1987 Silverado ashtray insert
« on: July 30, 2018, 10:58:30 AM »
My ash tray insert was well used and really pitted. I want it polished up because I keep my phone charging cord in there now.
The ones I see on eBay for sale aren't much better. I have a USB plug in the cigarette lighter and would keep my cord in a nice clean insert. Any ideas ? Thanks in advance !
Eric

Offline Henry

• Frequent Member
Re: 1987 Silverado ashtray insert
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 12:35:38 PM »
Hi Eric:
I bet you can find a good clean one at a salvage yard.
Regards,
Henry

Offline mdws1987

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 02:27:53 PM »
I cleaned mine. Then I cut to fit some thin insulation foam wrapping that I glued inside of the insert. Did the entire inside only. I keep phone charger and cables and other small things and do not have any rattling noises...

Offline Henry

• Frequent Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 12:06:08 PM »
Hi Erix993:
Is your ashtray the dashboard mounted style or the center console style? I think the dashboard style is common from 73-87 and are readily available as new from a couple of parts suppliers in the $25 range. The console mounted ones are fancier with chrome plating and an integral flip up lid...these are more expensive and range from $50-75 and available from a couple of suppliers.

If you have the fancier one and the exterior chrome is OK, just refurbish the interior of it as others have suggested...CLR treat the assembly and then paint the interior black or something to keep it from rusting as long as you dont use it for cigarettes or cigars anymore....or maybe apply one of those cheapo phosphatizing kits to the interior.

Regards,
Henry

Offline erix993

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 07:05:42 AM »
It is the dash board fold down type with lighter and insert ashtray. I looked in the LNC and Classic Parts catalogs and never saw a new one. That would be the answer.

Offline Henry

• Frequent Member
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 01:31:29 PM »
Hi Erix993:
Try Golden State Parts or YearOne...I have some of their old catalogs and they show the dash mounted ashtray.
Regards,
Henry