Author Topic: No power steering  (Read 1564 times)

Offline johndeeregreg4

No power steering
« on: August 11, 2019, 06:02:22 PM »
I just replaced my power steering gear box and cycled through the motions to allow fluid to circulate. All went well, took it around the block and it was a little sluggish when turning left. When I took it down the road however it felt like I had no power steering making it very very difficult to turn. I checked my belt tension and fluid and it was all where it should be at the correct tension and level. Anybody have this happen to them and would know what is goin on and how to fix? Thanks!

-Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mr. Lee K30

• It’s been awhile...
Re: No power steering
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 11:42:57 PM »
I would check to make sure the pressure and return line fittings weren’t put on the box backwards. 
1978 C10 Longbed 2WD
250 I6 & 3spd Saginaw
Soon to swap in TBI 305 and 700R4 from ‘88 C1500 2WD

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
  • 1975 GMC K25 Camper Special, 350/TH350/NP203
Re: No power steering
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 06:00:51 AM »
I had intermittent steering power problems (jerky operation) after I replaced the pump, so I finally decided to follow the GM directions for getting all the air out of the system. 

I jacked up the truck so the front wheels were about an inch off the ground.  Then with the engine running I turned the wheel to full left and right lock ten times.  Then I did it again for good measure.  That got rid of all the air and the pump seems to work perfectly.

Bruce