Author Topic: Driver side front brake  (Read 2414 times)

Offline Cheyenne1010

Driver side front brake
« on: April 13, 2018, 10:32:40 PM »
What's up guys,I got a 1973 c10 long bed with disc brakes in front and drum in the rear.the problem I'm having is the driver side front caliper wont collapse or return after i release the brake pedal.it's like pressing down on the brake pedal while your trying to accelerate. Master cylinder is new not rebuilt, brake calipers are you left side and right side and I bled out all the old brake fluid,rotors and bearings(inner and outter)are new.if I jack up the front i can spin the passenger wheel with no problem but the driver side wheel won't spin.

Any help from you guys is very much appreciated

Offline blazer74

Re: Driver side front brake
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 11:58:56 PM »
Open the bleeder on that wheel and see if the brake releases. If so more than likely the brake hose at that wheel has swelled closed.
Fluid will pass through with pressure from the pedal but will not return back through the hose to allow the brake to release.

If the brake does not release with the bleeder opened the caliper is probably at fault

Offline Cheyenne1010

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 03:03:45 PM »
It does release once I open the bleeder valve. I'll go ahead and replace the hoses on each side.thanks for the info,I'll be back with an update.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 11:52:37 PM »
on my 94 (which is pretty much the same setup) the metal bracket on the brake hose will rust squeezing the hose. this would restrict fluid going to it and also restrict it leaving the caliper 
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Cheyenne1010

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 09:18:21 AM »
I bought new brake lines for both sides and the driver side is working fine now.