Author Topic: Fluid leaking on floor board behind brake pedal  (Read 2838 times)

Offline SirTubbLord

• New Users
Fluid leaking on floor board behind brake pedal
« on: May 22, 2018, 05:47:25 PM »
Hey guys, I've looked all over this forum but can't seem to find the simple answer to my question.  I've got fluid leaking on the floorboard behind the the brake pedal, and I know it has to be either brake fluid or power steering fluid, but I don't know which.  My common sense tells me power steering fluid because the hydroboost sits right up against the firewall, but I don't know for sure.  I should also mention that it's just not a big enough leak to be able to tell by checking fluid levels.  Before I go buy either a new hydroboost, or master cylinder, I'd love to get some input from someone who has experience and knows what they're talking about.  By the way, my truck is a 77 3/4 ton, mechanically pretty tip-top (aside from this little leak), body is leaning towards ugly, but I think she's a beauty!
Thanks!

Offline Deathscythe

Re: Fluid leaking on floor board behind brake pedal
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 11:53:40 PM »
I've been troubleshooting this topic on my truck with my father (mechanic since the 60's). From what it sounds like, it's probably the brake booster, I could be wrong so don't take my word for it. It seems like the likely culprit, hopefully it's not though I hear those can get expensive.

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 12:02:19 AM »
You'll need to look and verify this, but I think you will discover P/S fluid seeping from the booster around the pushrod that connects the booster to the brake pedal arm.  Replace the booster and thoroughly flush the P/S system using fresh fluid.  Catch the old fluid in a clean pan and inspect it.  If the old fluid exhibits a pearly sheen or glitter, replace the pump as well.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 06:13:48 AM »
Welcome
1974 Cheyenne 10 LWB STOCK 350 W HEI /TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Offline SirTubbLord

• New Users
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 10:41:08 AM »
Thanks for the help!  I assumed it was the power booster since it's closest to the leak, but someone told me it could be brake fluid seeping down the rod as well.  I guess I'll have to take it apart and have a look.  I checked with the local NAPA and a new hydroboost is only 100 and change.  Not too bad if it needs replacing. 

Offline 1967KaiserM715

• 1985 GMC K1500 w/ 6.5 TD
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 05:24:25 PM »
On a hydro boost system, there is a weep hole between the brake master and booster, so in theory no brake fluid should make it in the cab.

On a vacuum boost system, there isn't typically a weep hole, and if the vacuum booster should start to fail, brake fluid could then enter the cab.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

Current Vehicles:1985 GMC K10(Daily) 1991 GMC K2500(Daily) 1975 Beetle(not running) 1985 Mercedes 300D(not running) 1952 M35    1967 M715(not running)
 1986 Chevy K30(under repair)

Offline Big Chip

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 05:55:04 AM »
I had the same issue and it was the hydro boost. Replaced it and problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk