General Site Info > General Discussion

Insuring our trucks

(1/5) > >>

berserk:
I have a K10 and recently dumped a LOT of money and time(12,000+) into the truck. Several months ago I inquired about insuring the truck beyond liability and only met dead ends. My insurance Progressive had NO policy for modified classic vehicles that aren't completely restored. I called several classic car insurance companies (Grundy, hagerty, etc) and was told the truck needed to be a garage queen/ show truck in other words not driven. I want to WORK my truck, tow, off-road, cruise etc. drive 5000 miles a month if I want. Also my truck is Rusty with bad paint ALL the money is in mechanical. Such as one ton axles, lockers, suspension and so on.

When I told these companies this they ALL said they had no policy for classics that are actually driven daily/not totally restored with documentation.

So here is the question, I want to USE the truck. To tow trailers, off road, daily drive, road trip. HOW in the heck are you guys who have 20,000+ in your trucks that actually use them get insurance that covers the value? And through what company?

Thanks so much for any help

Shifty:
The "daily drive" thing killed my suggestion....I use Safeco, with a stated value insurance, but it's a limited mileage deal.

78 Chevyrado:
I've been searching for years and years.  None I've found will Insure anything over 15 or so years old for daily driving.  That means my 78 C20 and my 97 Z28 are gonna be gone for real if anything happens to them.  Most insurance you can never drive it to work.  you can never drive it to stores.  Well I only go to work.  If anything happens to my 78, I'm SOL.  After finding this out, The 78 and 97 will be the last classic cars I put $20k+ into.  I'd still buy decent drivers if under $10k or so and not worry about it.  ya know a nice survivor.  But no more no expense ($20-$30k for me) spared cars. 

78 Chevyrado:
They'll insure to to drive...  Everything but the value of your vehicle.

berserk:

--- Quote from: 78 Chevyrado on January 07, 2023, 11:23:34 PM ---I've been searching for years and years.  None I've found will Insure anything over 15 or so years old for daily driving.  That means my 78 C20 and my 97 Z28 are gonna be gone for real if anything happens to them.  Most insurance you can never drive it to work.  you can never drive it to stores.  Well I only go to work.  If anything happens to my 78, I'm SOL.  After finding this out, The 78 and 97 will be the last classic cars I put $20k+ into.  I'd still buy decent drivers if under $10k or so and not worry about it.  ya know a nice survivor.  But no more no expense ($20-$30k for me) spared cars.

--- End quote ---

I have come to the same conclusion, if I can't have some kind of full coverage ins. and actually use the truck I can't put anymore money into it. Thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version