Author Topic: QUESTION WHAT COLOR IS THE WIRE FOR FUEL GAUGE?  (Read 901 times)

Offline jfkelley

QUESTION WHAT COLOR IS THE WIRE FOR FUEL GAUGE?
« on: March 28, 2023, 05:44:42 PM »
I have a 76 K10 I'm dong an LS swap in it came stock from factory with dual tanks..Im going to one tank with electric fuel pump inside the 87 TBI tank ..My question is can someone tell me what color is the wire to for the fuel gauge ?..I see two blue wires and and a black wire which is ground...But I have read on other forums its a pink wire I'm looking for ?..Can anyone confirm this ..I am lost when it comes to wiring...Thanks in advance   
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 06:01:58 PM by jfkelley »
1976 Chevrolet Scottsdale 4x4 ,K10 33” BF Goodrich All-Terrain .. in the middle of an LS swap LM7/4l60e/NP241C

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: QUESTION WHAT COLOR IS THE WIRE FOR FUEL GAUGE?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2023, 07:53:48 PM »
The pink wire from the gauge going to the tank switching valve is your signal wire.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2023, 08:01:05 PM »
MORE DETAILS:

Factory SINGLE Fuel Tank wire color codes:

1976 - Tan - Tank to Gauge

1987 - Pink - Tank to Gauge

Factory DUAL Fuel Tanks wire color codes:

1976 - Right Tank:  Tan / White - Tank to Dash Selector Switch
           Left Tank:  Light Blue - Tank to Dash Selector Switch
           Dash Selector Switch to Gauge:  Tan

1987 - Right Tank:  Pink / Black - Tank to Selector Valve under Cab
           Left Tank:  Pink / White - Tank to Selector Valve under Cab
           Selector Valve under Cab to Gauge:  Pink

Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline jfkelley

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2023, 08:33:46 PM »
So I want to make sure I get this right it’s the Light blue  wire ? Not the pink ..Correct
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 08:44:32 PM by jfkelley »
1976 Chevrolet Scottsdale 4x4 ,K10 33” BF Goodrich All-Terrain .. in the middle of an LS swap LM7/4l60e/NP241C

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2023, 09:42:51 PM »
Are you going to use the original 1976 fuel gauge wiring between the tank and the gauge?

Are you installing the 1987 fuel tank on the driver's side or the passenger's side?

Are you going to remove and eliminate the second fuel tank and tank selector switch in the dash?

Answer the three questions above and I should be able to provide a concise answer.
Rich
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!

Offline jfkelley

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2023, 10:17:04 PM »

Are you going to use the original 1976 fuel gauge wiring between the tank and the gauge? Yes sir I want to keep the factory gauges.

Are you installing the 1987 fuel tank on the driver's side or the passenger's side? Driver Side

Are you going to remove and eliminate the second fuel tank and tank selector switch in the dash? No sir to both

Answer the three questions above and I should be able to provide a concise answer.

Thank you for taking the time to help me with this

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2023, 10:55:27 PM »
As long as the factory wiring is unmolested the light blue wire runs from the left tank sending unit, through the tank selector switch, then up to the fuel gauge.  You can verify this by selecting the left (driver's side) tank and switching the ignition ON.  When you ground the blue wire leading to the tank the fuel gauge should indicate Empty.  When you disconnect the blue wire and let it dangle free the fuel gauge needle should swing way past Full and point to about 3:00 o'clock.
Rich

Offline jfkelley

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2023, 11:33:46 PM »
Thank you Rich ! You sir are a wealth of knowledge .. Yes sir it’s an unmolested original
Wiring 88k original miles AC still blew cold ..Only reason I LS SWAP IS THE 400SBC blew up and by the time I could pay to rebuild it , I could buy a complete wrecked truck & LS Swap the K10 ..Jury still out on to see if the time was well worth the swap..🤷🏻