73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Fuel Systems and Drivability

Stupid question

(1/2) > >>

gmcowner22:
I have an 87 GMC Sierra Classic V1500 4x4, it has the TBI 350 in it and Im just wondering (not gonna do it just a thought that crossed my mind). Can I convert it back to a carburetor/HEI set up and completely bypass the computer? I know Id probably need a fuel pressure regulator to bring the fuel down from the 12 psi the TBI system uses to around 5.5 to 7 PSI for a carb. Could this be done or would I be better off saving up for a Holley SNIPER or equivalent self learning EFI setup?

Mr Diesel:
You would be best off just maintaining that TBI system you already have. GM TBI is a pretty good system, but like anything it needs maintenance and repairs from time to time.

Shifty:
If your engine is stock, or stock-ish, the TBI will fine.  If you plan to make big horsepower, the TBI is really limited.  You can trick it out with a bunch of mods, but it probably wont support very much power. 

(I have the same set-up, though mine is the Chevy version-V20)

gmcowner22:
I kinda figured as much, was mainly just one of those dumb ideas running around in my brain I thought I better get some feed back on. I will say the truck has better throttle response than my old carbureted 1980 but its gonna take some getting use to the pedal as its a bit touchy (ok more than abit) and it takes abit to get it started. Thinking I may pull the old unit off (PO said it had 164000 miles on the truck to begin with) so it may be time for a rebuild. Rock Auto has the kit with all the O-rings , gaskets etc. that id need but there's a few other things I need to address before I get to that. OH btw are TBI spacers worth the money or not? I dont think a TBI is as vulnerable to heat soak as a carb but this is my first TBI engine so Im not sure.

Shifty:
A spacer isn't going to hurt anything, but your linkage may be a bit funky.  It seems like TBI units suffer from "drain-back" to the tank, and I've seen some folks do a  anti-drainback (one way valve).  Mine doesn't like to re-start when hot, and does take a little bit first start as well,  but I've learned to live with it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version