Author Topic: Dana 60 detroit locker steering question  (Read 627 times)

Offline berserk

Dana 60 detroit locker steering question
« on: January 23, 2024, 04:24:25 AM »
I have a 1976 k10 that I swapped a dana 60/14 bolt and 33" mudder's in last year, the truck is still a work in progress but I have been driving it around recently. Yesterday an Ice storm rolled through when I was sleeping and all I had at the house was the 2wd Silverado with an empty bed, I barely made it to my shop to get the K10 out.

The Dana 60 is completely rebuilt with a Detroit Locker (never owned or drove a truck with lockers) rear is Tru Trac, I have only tested it once since install. I was behind my shop in the gravel and drove unlocked up to a 1.5 ft retaining wall, locked the hubs and crawled the wall. Every thing worked great until I tried to steer into my shop, I was on loose gravel but my truck refused to turn at all! The power steering just screamed at me until I unlocked the hubs and drove into my shop fine.

Yesterday was the second time I attempted to use the locker as there was a bad Ice storm. I decided to run only one hub locked as I have been told its more tame on the ice and snow with a locker. It worked great when I was on the slippery surface, it turned fine and slowly trucked through the bad side streets. Then.... I drove on the main streets. They were spotty from the salt trucks, there were sections of dry pavement and sections of black ice. When I tried to turn onto the main street the power steering pump just screamed at me and the truck refused to turn. My wheels were basically locked straight until two instances where it felt like the diff ratcheted(again new and don't know the feeling for sure) but I was able to turn for just a little more each time and made the turn. All the while the truck put up a fight and the steering screamed relentlessly. I pulled off the road and checked the hubs and only one was locked as I intended and hoped would help with street manners. 

The power steering has always been terrible on my truck and I have read its common on square body's. For this reason I just put up with it as it was just a work truck beater.  With open diff 10 bolts, hubs unlocked in two wheel on 31" tires there were times I could barely make it into a parking space as the power steering pumped screamed at me and cut the power steering on and off. I have driven this truck for 20+ years and its always been a problem. Presently every component on the front axle, steering box etc has been replaced but the pump is original, at least since 1992 when we got the truck. 

I am new to lockers and want your input please, obviously the power steering is badly lacking, should I move to hydro assist or would a new pump help? And those with lockers on K-series have you had similar problems? I know Lockers are used for off road applications but I was under the impression that if I ran on hub locked in spotty ice and snow conditions I would be ok. At the moment the truck is useless in winter snow mix conditions on the street. My open diff 10 bolts were WAY more capable in these conditions, lucky for me my state rarely sees bad winter weather. And the main use for my lockers will by my property and some light off road adventures. But even in gravel or firm ground its not possible to turn when in 4 wheel at the moment. The second I try to turn locked the pump bypass opens as I understand it, and I loose power steering and it screams at me begging for mercy lol. Irish, Vile and other please help!   
76 Chevy k10 350/th350/203 part time. Vortec head 350 Dana 60 w/Detroit, 14 bolt Tru Trac, 33" Micky T. Mudders.

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
Re: Dana 60 detroit locker steering question
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2024, 08:08:19 PM »
Bizarre! Sounds like the pump is the problem.
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline Mike81K10

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2024, 08:15:12 PM »
I have owned my K10 since 1986 and I have driving in about every condition possible, yet have never experienced a problem with it yet. My power steering have never been a problem. Perhaps I have been lucky. When in 4 wheel drive, it does not turn well on dry pavement, does not make noise, just kinda of jumps a bit. Which, I believe is a normal thing.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline Mr Diesel

• Frequent Member
  • Aaron
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2024, 08:12:18 AM »
The power steering has always been terrible on my truck and I have read its common on square body's. For this reason I just put up with it as it was just a work truck beater.  With open diff 10 bolts, hubs unlocked in two wheel on 31" tires there were times I could barely make it into a parking space as the power steering pumped screamed at me and cut the power steering on and off. I have driven this truck for 20+ years and its always been a problem. Presently every component on the front axle, steering box etc has been replaced but the pump is original, at least since 1992 when we got the truck. 

This right here is the clue to your problem. Your power steering problem existed before the locker. Fix your power steering.
1976 C20 Crewcab, 6.2L/SM465
1982 K30 Crewcab , 427TD/TH400
1983 C30, 6.2L/TH400
1983 K30 Crewcab 454/700R4
1986 K10 350/400. 1989 K30 cab/chassis 454/SM465

Offline berserk

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2024, 10:10:45 AM »
Yes I agree, but I don't want to buy a stock replacement power steering pump if it's not going to be able to power through the locker enough for it to ratchet. I was hoping for confirmation from someone with a front locker to confirm that their stock power steering is enough And I don't need hydro assist steering.

Also this was a really hard worked truck in the early '90s, Dad pulled way too much weight with it and had the bed completely loaded down with tools. It was neglected badly and I guess I just got used to its quirks and "tricks" for it to work right 😆. I have been slowly going through it and have replaced basically half the trucks drive train, suspension and steering. Thanks for your input, I'm going to wait for some other responses but definitely will replace the power steering pump at the very least.
76 Chevy k10 350/th350/203 part time. Vortec head 350 Dana 60 w/Detroit, 14 bolt Tru Trac, 33" Micky T. Mudders.

Offline berserk

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2024, 10:11:51 AM »
I have owned my K10 since 1986 and I have driving in about every condition possible, yet have never experienced a problem with it yet. My power steering have never been a problem. Perhaps I have been lucky. When in 4 wheel drive, it does not turn well on dry pavement, does not make noise, just kinda of jumps a bit. Which, I believe is a normal thing.

That's what I figured, But it's good to hear from another K series owner. Thanks