Author Topic: Cam Shaft  (Read 3250 times)

Offline Var

Cam Shaft
« on: November 25, 2018, 05:52:18 PM »
Peace be unto all
I’m new to the Chevy Community and need help
I have a 1985 Chevy Silverado Swb 350 engine 270 comp cam
I use to be able to hear my cam lopes very clear but every since my mechanic set the distributor back to factory, I can’t hear the lopes in the cam as good.
I called him and he said to come out on the idle screw, on the carburetor so I did that and it helped some but I still don’t have that classic cam sound like it sounded before he factory set the distributor. Does anyone no why this may be happening?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Cam Shaft
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 06:13:24 PM »
What's your setup? What's your idle speed? What's your timing set at?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Var

Cam Shaft
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 06:16:22 PM »
What's your setup? What's your idle speed? What's your timing set at?

My setup supposed to to be whatever the factory setup is because he put the distributor back to GM specs
My idle speed is about 600 rpm
I have Edelbrock thunder series avs carburetor I hope in answered your questions I’m new to this so please bare with me
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 06:46:28 PM by Var »

Online Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 06:36:44 PM »
Welcome.
1974 Cheyenne 10 LWB STOCK 350 W HEI /TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Offline Var

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 06:47:07 PM »
Welcome.
Thank you brother

Offline 68post

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 11:28:20 PM »
Peace be unto all
I’m new to the Chevy Community and need help
I have a 1985 Chevy Silverado Swb 350 engine 270 comp cam
I use to be able to hear my cam lopes very clear but every since my mechanic set the distributor back to factory, I can’t hear the lopes in the cam as good.
I called him and he said to come out on the idle screw, on the carburetor so I did that and it helped some but I still don’t have that classic cam sound like it sounded before he factory set the distributor. Does anyone no why this may be happening?

It was very likely running correctly before you messed with the idle mixture screws, even a stock cam can be made to "lope" if you retard the ignition timing and get the idle mixture out of whack!

My guess would be that it smoothed-out the idle because everything had been set correctly by the mechanic. Reset your idle mixture with a vacuum gauge pulling the highest vacuum (disconnect the vacuum advance and plug the leak)(keep lowering idle back to correct as you gain RPM with higher vacuum readings).

You don't really have a cam large enough to lope in a 350 if your duration is 270* seat to seat, but you have better low-end torque and throttle response than a cam that lopes does.