Author Topic: Drum brake springs  (Read 7322 times)

Offline 429p

Drum brake springs
« on: January 26, 2012, 09:01:13 AM »
I have a 1980 Chevrolet K20 truck.  I am in the process of replacing both rear brake drum components.  I have purchased, new parking brake cables, new shoes, new cylinder, and spring kit.  My question is, it looks like in the kit there are two sizes of braking retaining springs, one is yellow, one is green.  I do not remember a difference in spring sizes when I removed the retaining springs from the rear brakes.  Does anyone know which spring goes on the front shoe, and the rear shoe?  Attached pictures are from the assembly before I removed everything, and the second picture is of the new springs.   Thanks in advance.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: Drum brake springs
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 11:25:23 AM »
If I remember correctly the longer one goes on the front shoe..  You should be able to take them off and tell.

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 11:36:47 AM »
a few pics of mine....i always keep these in my computer for when i have to replace my shoes.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 11:42:06 AM by SgtDel »

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 02:18:54 PM »
The shorter (in this case yellow) hold-down spring captures the self-adjuster lever arm.  The nails should be the same length.  The spring is shorter to compensate for the extra thickness added by the adjuster.  The images posted by SgtDel show a different style of self-adjuster mechanism.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 02:43:36 PM by bd »
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline 429p

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 02:59:37 PM »
Yes, makes sense to have the shorter spring over the adjusting arm nail.  Thanks for the replies.