Author Topic: 10 bolt 6 lug 4x4 rear disc conversion?  (Read 7938 times)

Offline rusty_but_trusty_86

• mudder on high school budget
10 bolt 6 lug 4x4 rear disc conversion?
« on: January 14, 2014, 11:38:49 AM »
I have an 87 chevy v10 with the ten bolt six lug rear end, an was wondering if there is any disc brake conversions, or if any other gm vehicles will interchange with it.
ashes to ashes...dust to dust... if it weren't for your ford...my tools would rust!

Re: 10 bolt 6 lug 4x4 rear disc conversion?
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 11:38:27 AM »
is there any other gm vehicles that can be crossed with that axle?
ashes to ashes...dust to dust... if it weren't for your ford...my tools would rust!

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 01:22:24 PM »
The only 6 lug from the factory were the 1999-2005 GMT800 trucks.  If you are looking for a bolt in swap, there isn't one.
If you are looking for an upgrade there are several out there that will replace your drums with off the shelf discs and calipers.  Which one are you after?

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 09:31:18 AM »
dang, aint that just my luck....  :o i was looking for more of a bolt in swap. I have an extra rear end from a k5 blazer with the dual shock setup in the rear that would match my dual shock setup on my front axle, but am on a high school budget, and paying for everything on my 87,and also everything on my girlfriends 87... so theres no way i can afford a kit.... i was hoping there was something out there that would fit our trucks that i could just pick up cheap from the boneyard.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 08:19:48 PM »
dang, aint that just my luck....  :o i was looking for more of a bolt in swap. I have an extra rear end from a k5 blazer with the dual shock setup in the rear that would match my dual shock setup on my front axle, but am on a high school budget, and paying for everything on my 87,and also everything on my girlfriends 87... so theres no way i can afford a kit.... i was hoping there was something out there that would fit our trucks that i could just pick up cheap from the boneyard.

Anything is possible, there has been some on here that have pieced together rear disk, but not sure if the same axle as yours.  Just because we do not know of something that is just a swap does not mean you couldn't do your homework and find something that will work.
     Then you could teach us something new, it depends I guess on how bad you want it.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 09:03:43 AM »
most likely a dumb question, but i read that for the 5 lug c10's they are using astro van front calipers and rotors. i then heard that astro vans then went to six lug, is that true and would it possibly work?

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 09:59:06 AM »
     I don not know about Astro vans, but if it worked on their 5 lugs and they went to 6, and everything physically fit on your axle and cleared, then I say it would be possible.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 02:15:32 PM »
AWD Astro vans were 5 on 5.  Most of the kits for 4x4 just use the same front 4x4 rotor..