Author Topic: The LS engine thread:  (Read 22098 times)

Offline Stewart G Griffin

The LS engine thread:
« on: August 26, 2009, 10:43:52 PM »
Well, i think it's high time to discuss the LS series of engines.  Why?

a) Because i don't know jack about them (never had the time to get into them).  i DO know that this engine has nothing to do with the SBC we all know and love.  Even though alot of people say it is an "evolution" or the "next generation small block" etc. but it has nothing in common with the previous sbc----sort of like a 2009 corvette has nothing to do with a 53 corvette.

Technically, it's not even an "chevrolet" engine being that it was designed by gm powertrain.

b) and i'm thinking of getting one (impala) because possible job changes mean much more money, but much less time to "fiddle" with used cars even though this is in general the most economical way to go.   Yes, things are that tight time-wise for me.

Offline eventhorizon66

Re: The LS engine thread:
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 12:37:57 PM »
I wouldn't get a 5.3L Impala.  It's a V8 yes, but it's driving the wrong wheels.  I think the new Malibus aren't too bad as Chevys go.
'85 C10 SWB 350 700R4 TKO600

Offline jimbo

• Registered Users
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 01:12:36 PM »
I love these engines.  Most efficient smallblock ever built in my mind.  They are very modular and the variations provide a ton of factory choices when wanting to build one.  They are compact, can be really light, they get better than decent mpg's, can be used as a supercar engine, can run down the drag strip, can tow in a truck, or cruise.  The only real problems I have dealt with so far are rings and stuck valves.  The factory heads and intake are top notch, the low riding fuel injection setup is versatile. 

;DI'm a fan.

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 03:50:07 PM »
i know it's fwd, but what are you going to do?   i think it could beat a v-6 challenger and possibly a hemi challenger due to it's lighter weight.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 04:35:20 PM »
I can only add that the LS is the answer to all my SBC needs.  I will never rebuilt another old gen block.  (ok, I am still into BBC's) In fact I am selling off any old SBC I have laying around.

Offline jimbo

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 04:52:19 PM »
Oh, you are only interested in the new impala?
i know it's fwd, but what are you going to do?  i think it could beat a v-6 challenger and possibly a hemi challenger due to it's lighter weight.
"What are you going to do?" Get a G8 or similar offering.  Especially if you are interested in "beating" challengers, or other new age muscle.  As I'm certain any spirited driving will reward you with plenty of torque steer and copious amounts of electronic interference under the guise of traction control.

Offline eventhorizon66

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 05:01:32 PM »
I can only add that the LS is the answer to all my SBC needs.  I will never rebuilt another old gen block.  (ok, I am still into BBC's) In fact I am selling off any old SBC I have laying around.

What about the TPI Jimmy?

Offline eventhorizon66

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 05:02:22 PM »
As I'm certain any spirited driving will reward you with plenty of torque steer and copious amounts of electronic interference under the guise of traction control.

Yeppers

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 05:05:21 PM »
1) i don't particularly like the g8, camaro etc.  this "zeta" chassis.

2) But anyways, could we get back to the actual description/history/segments of the LS engines?

Offline jimbo

• Registered Users
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 05:12:40 PM »

2) But anyways, could we get back to the actual description/history/segments of the LS engines?
What do you want to know?

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 05:17:35 PM »
What about the TPI Jimmy?

Already Built.  In fact it was the last old gen I built.

What are you wanting to know Stewart?  Rather open ended question,

Offline SUX2BU99

• My Cardomain Site. Truck is on Page 6.
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 02:34:52 PM »
As far as I know (and I could be wrong or misinformed) but some improvements/differences are:

- cathedral style ports which flow better and change how air enters the combustion chamber for improved efficiency
- larger cam base circle (and shaft diameter?) which I believe allows for larger lobes, higher lifts and possibly better high RPM stability
- 15 (or is it 18?) degree heads vs. the Gen I SBC usual 23. The lower the angle, the easier it is for air to flow into the ports and combustion chamber.

Again, I may have left stuff out or oversimplified but this is what I understand some benefits are of the LS architecture.
85 Chevy Silverado C10 short, wide, yellow, 2wd. Lowered, 60-over 350 with Dart Iron Eagle heads and Comp Cams XE268 cam, TH350 w/ shift kit, 3.40 Gov-lok 12 bolt.

Offline joesgarage71

• Wrench
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2009, 03:46:56 PM »

Again, I may have left stuff out or oversimplified but this is what I understand some benefits are of the LS architecture.

Y-Block design 6 bolt mains= stronger bottom end
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LS_engine
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 03:51:00 PM by joesgarage71 »
78' K-20 355/SM465/twin stick 205 6" on 36's
14 bolt FF/big bearing Dana 44 4.56 gears

92' GMC C-1500 454/4L80E/14 bolt

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2009, 09:09:27 AM »
The LS do not have enough improvements in technology and performance to get me excited. I would build one if one falls into my lap really cheap or free but it's already dated technology. There are so many better designed engines out there. Comparing them to an sbc when you weigh cost factor to output there's no spectacular end result. A finger follower DOHC aluminum V8 would be a nice start.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline jimbo

• Registered Users
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2009, 10:58:38 AM »
The LS do not have enough improvements in technology and performance to get me excited. I would build one if one falls into my lap really cheap or free but it's already dated technology. There are so many better designed engines out there. Comparing them to an sbc when you weigh cost factor to output there's no spectacular end result. A finger follower DOHC aluminum V8 would be a nice start.
I personally love the fact that it isn't some over engineered exotic design.  It's the pinnacle of pushrod v8 technology in my mind.  Its true that LS cost vs sbc does not win it any accolades, but the aluminum block, factory head design and versatile intakes, fuel injection and multitude of factory options to build sure don't hurt.  Stock for stock the LS out does the sbc in every way.