Author Topic: hoods  (Read 3428 times)

Offline ChevyGuy

• Frequent Member
hoods
« on: April 05, 2002, 12:39:00 AM »
Has anyone ever experience a hood that wont sit flat and you can push it down and it still pops up above the fender. I also adjusted the piss out of it and it still does it but not as bad. Any suggestions would be nice.

Offline 73K20

• Registered Users
Re: hoods
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2002, 03:31:00 PM »
I can't give much help, but i can add some sympathy.  Mine does the same thing.  I worked for 1/2 a day and couldnt get mine to close flat.  I just have to push the drivers side down flush each time i close it.  It sticks up back at the hinge.  The passenger side is fine though.  Hmmmmm, how to fix it.  I dont know.  Sorry couldnt help ya, but I'd also be interested in the answer.

1973 K20 - 350/350/205

79lwbcustom

hood fix
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2002, 02:48:00 PM »
try 2 things, adjust the hinge and get new hinge springs .

the tension can vary and after age they can vary much different thus holding the hinge differently and bam,  hood variance.

good luck./

Offline 79Shortbox

Re: hood fix
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2002, 07:32:00 PM »
Yeah, my hood has a little bit of bow to it as well. I bet it would be hard to find old Chevys without a little bowing in the middle of the hood. Whenever I close mine, I just put both hand on the edge and jump against the side of my truck. But, that's only because I don't care about the paint. Oil the hinges real good, and if it still it getting bowed, replace the springs. My friend was telling me there was a place to get better hood hinges that wouldn't make it bow up like that, but I have yet to find them.