Author Topic: Jack Nut Question  (Read 468 times)

Offline IdahoMan

• Registered Users
Jack Nut Question
« on: October 24, 2023, 12:33:59 AM »
Hey,

I'm getting my truck back from being Raptored soon and need to put the camper-style mirrors back on. The top holes go through and there are those "sports" type reinforcement pieces* for them in back that i will weld a bolt onto.  For the bottom two holes that go into the door-skin half-way down I want to use some kind of Jack Nut I think.

Questions:

1. I know the insulated JNs are good for keeping water out, but i think will be too thick when placing the mirror legs on. I could use regular, but recommend a good way to seal it? (Silicon maybe?)

2. Should a place a metal washer behind the doors skin when screwing in the JN, to help with metal fatigue?

3. A question for the whole truck really: What fastener material is best when choosing a fastener (avoiding rust and reactions)? (ACE has Chrome/BlackChrome, Stainless, galvanized, black, brass, etc.)

Thank you all!

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=10341.msg73417
« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 11:28:06 AM by Captkaos »

Offline Mike81K10

Re: Jack Nut Question
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2023, 11:55:02 PM »
If I could do things over, I would like to have tried welding a nut on the inside of the door skin for the Mirror screws/bolts.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: Jack Nut Question
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2023, 11:30:13 AM »
If you don't want to use what the factory did, you can measure the whole spacing make a metal brace that spans both holes and weld the nut to the brace.
Keep in mind the doors have water flowing through them everytime it rains, they are not sealed from water ingress.