Author Topic: heads......problem  (Read 17555 times)

Offline 1980c10

Re: heads......problem
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2011, 02:59:25 PM »
THE GUY ON EBAY AT kmjperformance said he think thedual plane high rise intake  should fit its has 2.09 x 1.25 port where as my heads have a 2.136 x 1.139.will wait before i order it .to hear from EQ

I have found KMJ Performance to be a good source for parts.
give the sizes of the intake runners are slightly smaller than the heads i would at a consider machining a small radius at the end of each runner on the intake to reduce the potential for turbulence.

Hopefully eq has a good answer for you, otherwise I don't understand why they ever made these heads.

Offline 305chevy c-10

• Frequent Member
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2011, 04:27:37 PM »
i know right
Heartbeat of America yesterday's cheverolet
18T5C10

Offline eventhorizon66

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2011, 05:55:58 PM »
The only thing I can figure was they were designed for racers that are required to use a stock intake manifold, but want the performance benefits of the vortec heads and are willing to perform extensive port matching.

I hope I'm totally wrong about these heads, because the price is very nice.
'85 C10 SWB 350 700R4 TKO600

Offline 305chevy c-10

• Frequent Member
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2011, 08:46:31 PM »
yeah i hope u r wrong as well...........the minute i find out i'll let you guys know ........however im really thinking about the one i saw on ebay  from kmjperformance ....its fairly close .alot closer than the 2101 ......maybe .100 off in port width ...i figure splitting the diff
18T5C10

Offline 305chevy c-10

• Frequent Member
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2011, 02:24:45 PM »
well guy .....here it is ......i got summit to contact eq because they gave me no real answers ......needless to say summit didnt get any either ...........however summit 's tech loked at the spec s of the heads and came up with EDL-7501 or 7101 whitch is both designed to fit gm bowtie heads ..port a 1.140 x 1.195 ..which are only .186 shorter than my port height ....which he said i should be able to split .093 top and bottom ...he told me to use edl-7201 gasket to port match them ..glue this gasket to head and tighten down intake them remove it and use a marker to trace what needs trimming (any sticky compound the will hold gasket on intake after its remover from head will work)...................what do you all think .......
18T5C10

Offline eventhorizon66

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2011, 05:26:24 PM »
I just got off the phone with Don at Engine Quest.  He confirmed that these heads are a vortec port and would most likely require you to both grind the cylinder head ports wider, grind the intake runners taller, and possibly weld additional material to the intake.  He also said that the reason these are priced so attractively is they are being discontinued.

That said, it is possible that there is a dual plane intake out there that will work.  I would buy the recommended gasket for say an Edelbrock RPM intake as the summit guy advised, before buying an intake, just to see how far off it is.  It should be significantly taller than your 2101 intake.  Also, I've seen it mentioned that there can also be a mismatch at the bottom of the port causing a leak into the lifter valley.  I have no idea is this is true or not, but sizing up a gasket will give you an idea before you order another intake.  Keep in mind the vortec port is not just taller but the port floor is also raised in the head.  Some pics of the mismatch when you get that gasket might help us help you.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2011, 05:50:36 PM »
Lay the gaskets that match the ports on the heads in place with duct tape under the ends and put the end seals in place as well for mock up purposes. Place tape under the gaskets sticky side up and then bolt the intake on correctly. Fold the tape over onto the intake so the gaskets don't move. Carefully remove the intake and flip it over to give yourself an idea of how far off your port match is. Also take into consideration the gasket match to the port openings, if they are way off make your own template.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline 1980c10

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2011, 05:56:03 PM »
Well I can see why these heads are being dicontinued.
I would seriously consider selling these heads and get the stock vortech heads, it'll cost a little more but in the end you'll gain piece of mind and you won't have to worry about buying an intake that might not work.

Offline bowtieman82

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2011, 11:10:13 PM »
can i ask are they call e tec 170 head or 200 head if they are they use the vortec intake u have a old school intake.

Offline 305chevy c-10

• Frequent Member
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2011, 09:01:19 PM »
they are called eq-ch350e ......i have both intakes ..old one is way off ..new one from kmj may work but i will have to get maybe the machine shop guy look at it ...i will let u guys see this weekend ....i took pics of it .....maybe yall can give me direction ..my opinion is to make head ports bigger ...0.120 on outside   .[] . ^[][]^  . . ^[][]^  .[] . 
edge to make them wider ( the arrows show the side that problem)...the height is only off by about .070 ........so im thinking get the heads port to match the intakes .iwll be easier than getting the intakes ports to match the heads.....u under stand me more when i show pics ........the new intake covers all the ports but they just are off ....i know someonensaid use a die grinder .but i dont wanna destroy my heads ..................i know they were only 260 shipped but.....
18T5C10

Offline 305chevy c-10

• Frequent Member
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2011, 05:53:15 AM »
does anybody know the average cost to port and polish heads for an intake to match it
18T5C10

Offline eventhorizon66

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2011, 11:30:00 AM »
That's a by-the-hour sort of deal.  Paying someone else to do it would more than defeat the deal you got on the heads.

Do as Vile said and use the gaskets to determine where material removal is needed.  Then check out the pics of the heads on this page and get inspired:

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56505&page=8
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 11:40:30 AM by eventhorizon66 »

Offline bill16bw

• New Users
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2011, 10:07:09 PM »
any update on the head and intake i got this same set of head run in to the same thing

Offline 305chevy c-10

• Frequent Member
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2011, 05:04:34 PM »
well i took mine to a guy who does all port work on the local dirt circle track guy's heads and .he said its no problem ....he can port match them .......i bought vavles and springs froma guy on ebay for $125  CHEVY 350 HIGH PERFORMANCE VALVES AND SPRINGS FULL SET
GM 5.7 SMALLBLOCK 1.94 1.50 STAINLESS SWIRL POLISHED 

the guy at shop tested the springs good for 550 lift @310lb ...115 on  seat............i paid 275.00 for the whole job that including assembly
Item condition: New

Running Strong, LLC is proud to offer this full set of high performance valves that fit the Chevy small block engine.   These are super high quality valves that are brand new. They are stainless steel swirl polished. The intake measures 1.94 and the exhaust measures 1.50.  They are a direct fit with no mods for any four barrel carb 350 1986 and older and any fuel injected 350 1987 and up. The springs will work with your stock cam as well as an RV cam or mild street cam. This listing is for a full set of 16 valves and 16 springs. Running Strong, LLC offers both new and used automotive parts.

18T5C10

Offline bill16bw

• New Users
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2011, 12:26:21 AM »
i got my heads open up and the intake done now to it not that bad of a job to do what intake gaskit did u use?? i got falpro 1255 

well i took mine to a guy who does all port work on the local dirt circle track guy's heads and .he said its no problem ....he can port match them .......i bought vavles and springs froma guy on ebay for $125  CHEVY 350 HIGH PERFORMANCE VALVES AND SPRINGS FULL SET
GM 5.7 SMALLBLOCK 1.94 1.50 STAINLESS SWIRL POLISHED 

the guy at shop tested the springs good for 550 lift @310lb ...115 on  seat............i paid 275.00 for the whole job that including assembly
Item condition: New

Running Strong, LLC is proud to offer this full set of high performance valves that fit the Chevy small block engine.   These are super high quality valves that are brand new. They are stainless steel swirl polished. The intake measures 1.94 and the exhaust measures 1.50.  They are a direct fit with no mods for any four barrel carb 350 1986 and older and any fuel injected 350 1987 and up. The springs will work with your stock cam as well as an RV cam or mild street cam. This listing is for a full set of 16 valves and 16 springs. Running Strong, LLC offers both new and used automotive parts.