Author Topic: Starting issue  (Read 1631 times)

Offline Garciax24x

• New Users
Starting issue
« on: December 03, 2018, 11:29:34 AM »
Morning. I recently had to replace my ignition and ignition coil for my 73 fleetside because someone had tried to steal it. I got the items replaced and I moved my truck from the sidewalk to my driveway no problem. I go to start it later and it won’t start again I’ve checked the battery, the starter, & fuses. Everything has power to it, My lights work and everything yet when I turn the key the truck does not kick over. I cannot figure out why it’s not starting now. Any ideas?

Online bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Starting issue
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 12:28:16 PM »
Welcome to the site.

Half-ton, three-quarter-ton, or one-ton chassis?  Which engine?  Electronic or standard ignition?  Which components of the ignition, besides the coil, were replaced?  When you state, "when I turn the key the truck does not kick over," do you mean the engine won't crank over, OR the engine cranks okay but won't fire off?
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Garciax24x

• New Users
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 01:09:44 PM »
The engine won’t crank.  The engine size is a 305. Not sure if it’s HT, QT, or 1T. I replaced the key ignition as well as the coil.

Offline Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 01:41:10 PM »
Welcome
1974 Cheyenne 10 LWB STOCK 350 W HEI /TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 02:12:02 PM »
Let's see if we can figure out what's wrong.  Make sure the transmission is in park (automatic) or neutral with the clutch depressed (standard) and the parking brake is firmly set.  Use a test light to probe for power on the starter solenoid "S" terminal while an assistant is attempting to crank the engine.  Make sure that the 9/16" hex nut retaining the battery cable and fusible links to the starter solenoid is tight.  Tug on the fusible links connected to the starter solenoid to make sure none stretch or separate.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 02:37:07 PM by bd »
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)