Author Topic: Wierd electrical issue.  (Read 1981 times)

Offline dvdswan

• Frequent Member
Wierd electrical issue.
« on: July 09, 2017, 06:25:10 PM »
So my right turn signal light on the dash comes on when I put the key in the run position.  If the lights are on then the left will dimly light as well.  I thought I had a bad bulb and checked all 8 of the driving light bulbs.  Only the right side driving lights come on, the left side does not.  I check a couple grounds in the engine compartment all were tight, I took them off and cleaned them with no change.

Any thoughts?  I'm getting ready to check the grounds for the back lights but it may have to wait until next weekend.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Wierd electrical issue.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 06:49:52 PM »
Check the inside cab grounds and the taillight grounds as well
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline dvdswan

• Frequent Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 08:44:45 PM »
Thanks, didn't think of the inside grounds.

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
  • 1975 GMC K25 Camper Special, 350/TH350/NP203
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 06:06:13 AM »
Mine has had similar problems in the past, and its usually the turn signal bulbs in the front or rear that are making a bad connection. 

The rear bulbs are dual function (marker, and turn/stop), and you can get some funny cross-connects and bad grounding if they are inserted wrong or don't make good contact.   Cleaning contacts and making sure the bulb is oriented right usually fixes the problem.

The only in-cab ground I've had problems with is the black wire that grounds the instrument cluster to a post on the parking brake mechanism.

Bruce