Author Topic: Converting wood bed to metal  (Read 3607 times)

Offline fitz

Re: Converting wood bed to metal
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2020, 03:58:27 PM »
  I'm a huge fan of the 8' step sides, but its definitely an acquired taste.  People love them or hate them.  In the end, which would you prefer, the fleetside or stepside?.
   I gotta say, even here in Massachusetts clean fleetside beds can be found in the $2000 range.
  Personally,  I'd buy a nice $10k truck and part it out and get a free bed out of the deal before I'd spend $6k to build a bed from scratch.

Offline 1980K20

• Frequent Member
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2020, 08:42:10 AM »
I've looked online, but have not found this replacement part for Fleetside. Any pointers are appreciated.  If I find it maybe I'll keep it wood, but the clock is running out.

There are many kind souls who keep telling me I can just find another bed that's in good shape. The bed is forty years old. If it's being parted out, why do they believe it's also not rusted like this?

Body shop guy comes Saturday to pick up the bed. We'll convert to metal by using a layer of plywood, spraying it with bed liner, then putting diamond sheet metal over it. Inside of the bed will be sprayed with bed liner. He'll weld some metal to the front panel. The entire bed gets media blasted first. We'll see, probably a new tail gate.

Merry Christmas!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

--------------------------------------
1952 International L112 - waiting for EV conversion
1967 Camaro - 250 six cyl, 200-4R
1980 K20 4x4 Fleetside - 350 SBC roller Cam, TH350

Offline fitz

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2020, 07:17:04 PM »
There are many kind souls who keep telling me I can just find another bed that's in good shape. The bed is forty years old. If it's being parted out, why do they believe it's also not rusted like this?

I've parted out some clean rust free trucks.  I've bought & sold a lot of Military CUCV's ( the Military version of 84-87 k30's).
  A guy I do business with buys southern CUCV's and ships them to Massachusetts. When they arrive at his garage he does a quick mechanical inspection on them. If he determines that they need to  much mechanical work, he parts them out. 
  Some people would cringe at the thought of rust free trucks getting parted out, but from a business point, it makes since. 
  The numbers for parting out a rustfree CUCV (k30) are:
Bed $2,000
Cab $2,000
Doors $500 pr.
Fenders $500 pr.
Dana 60 / 14 bolt with 4:56 gears $2500
1 ton frame w/ springs $1000
Rear bumper with pintle hitch & D rings $500
Front bumper with brush gaurd & D rings $500
So that's almost $10k worth of parts before you sell off the small stuff.  It's not uncommon to sell $12k of parts off 1 of these trucks.  Now keep in mind these aren't showroom cond parts, they just gotta be rust free to bring big $$.
  So in a nutshell,  here in Massachussets, there are plenty of rust free trucks still getting parted out.
Look forward to seeing the pics of your bed getting restored.  Keep us updated.

Offline 1980K20

• Frequent Member
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2020, 02:02:42 PM »
The guy will take it apart, see what it's like underneath, then decide on the course of action.

I was wondering how you get a pickup without rust inside the bed. A topper of course..

Maybe an old pickup with a topper would be cheaper, but that's time I don't have to dog it all down.

Mark

Offline 1980K20

• Frequent Member
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2021, 04:52:07 PM »
Just to follow up on this, I've created a members ride build thread.

The truck had at one time been sitting on the right side in water, discovered when I had the brakes checked. The differentials had to be completely rebuilt.

Apparently the tilt to the right also really did a number on the right side of the bed. Coupled with some dents, I'll have the bed rebuilt with metal. Most of the bed will be aftermarket replacement.

When I get done, the only body parts original will be the cab and the tailgate.

At least I was able to rebuild the transmission, diffs, and just deals on the transfer case.