Author Topic: when broke upgrade! (Cooling system)  (Read 1777 times)

Offline audrima

• Frequent Member
when broke upgrade! (Cooling system)
« on: March 26, 2014, 01:52:50 PM »
So..
This winter, I flobed the radiator in my truckie. I knew this would happen, it's the original one and been patched like 4 time. Last time was when I got it in 2010. The guy patched it 10 holes ( 8 smalls and 2 big!), it's about 10 years past time to replace it. and when I replace I upgrade! I have, of course, a 1978 GMC C25 HD, 350, sm456. posi rear q-jet. I'm going to replace both the rad and the pump. so what would be a great upgrade rad/ pump try to stay about $500 or less lol I love to stay below $300 :P also going to replace the thermostat maybe the housing if warped. all the hoses are going to replace and the fluids (duh lol) I would love remove the heater core (it needs it honestly lol) and upgrade that to the AC system, but I don't think I can get that setup (just the the whole box area) and get it all done for less than $500.

did I miss something? is there something I should do with the whole cooling system out that be a pain with it in? I REALLY want to redo the head gaskets but that is a tad to much for this, Mostly due to if I pull the head I would want to have the heads check and rebuilt (or replace with vortech heads lol).

Mariah

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: when broke upgrade! (Cooling system)
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 05:30:12 PM »
Get an aluminum radiator with efans. You can get em cheap on eBay but they are pretty good quality from what I've witnessed.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 12:41:01 AM »
i understand upgrading a stock rad, if needed (overheating with a good water pump). but why the pump if its still good?
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline audrima

• Frequent Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 03:33:49 PM »
Well it's the org with around 500K on it. Just change it to be safe.  I love a aluminum rad, but don't know here to get one cheap enough for my budget. thanks for the advice. :D

M

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 11:16:38 PM »
lol, i see what you're saying. but a guy i know had a 80s camaro, well he wanted a new one so he traded the old one in. i asked him why, he said because it was 20 years old. i then looked at him and asked "how old are you" and you could see the wheels turning in his head as he laughs and says i see what your saying.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes