Author Topic: My 78 k10 4x4 build thread -454 install / build -1 ton axles- frame restoration  (Read 334594 times)

Offline FearNoMan78k10

• A project turned into a complete rebuild
So far big difference from yesterday on the hood. I need more pads for sure. A weeks worth of buffing the body and It should be good to go. Trying to work on the truck in between working.  The front brake lines should be in early this week so by the end of the week brake lines will be installed.... Finally... I am dropping off the driveshaft this week to be rebuilt. I will see if he will trade my driveshaft and cash for a custom built one . We will just have to see what happens with that.... I want to paint my rims. Any suggestions on color?  After I get the paint buffed out more I will go back to working on the truck. I need to install all the shocks including steering stabilizer shock except one shock on driver side that's been installed. Trying to get some help this week to drop the fuel tank and clean it out real good . Then replace hoses and fill it up. This week hopefully will have the exhaust welded up too , maybe ..... We will see how the week plays out..

Sent using Tapatalk
78 k10 4x4

Offline FearNoMan78k10

Sent using Tapatalk
78 k10 4x4

Offline FearNoMan78k10

Sent using Tapatalk
78 k10 4x4

Offline FearNoMan78k10

Sent using Tapatalk
78 k10 4x4

Offline FearNoMan78k10

I got most of all the black stuff off the hood, a few more waxes and it should be looking as best as it can get it, still have the lower portion just above the front bumper to restore too

Sent using Tapatalk
78 k10 4x4

Offline roundhouse

Sent using Tapatalk
broken frame ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 79SierraGrande

Nice build you have going on here. You did a great job on the frame and I really like the color of your truck! Is that Grecian Bronze? I want to paint a truck that color someday. But on my current build it's a truck my Father gave me that he drove daily when I was a kid and it's yellow and white and has been called "Old Yeller" for decades so I have to repaint it the orignial colors. Wouldn't feel right.

Your 454 sounds nice too! I miss my old 71' GMC Sierra Grande that I put a 454 in as well. Keep up the good work!
— Jeremy

Offline FearNoMan78k10

Hey thankyou I appreciate it! I'm not sure exactly. I need to get the paint code for it. Still have a lot of buffing and waxing to do . I like the color too and want to stick with the same color if it ever gets painted in the future.  Yeah I agree on painting it with original colors you should do that. Well thanks I think it sounded nice too. You guys should check out the videos I'm about to post... The motor is broken in now. I need to change the oil in it... Radiator has multiple areas where it needs repaired, thinking of just buying a new radiator. Motor is running right now, clean and crisp and responsive.....and LOUD..... Haha 

well the fuel tank still needs dropped and cleaned out and a few little things here and there , shocks need put on, need bolts and spacers etc, driveshaft needs to be built, and other than the radiator an alignment hopefully will be the last of what I need before it's on the road , it's always something seems like whenever you do anything to move forward.  Oh by the way blew a 30amp fuse on the fuseable link coming off the pos battery terminal. Keeps blowing fuses.....?  Tachometer was working then quit working. Now it has reset itself after we shut her down.  Needs a few studs for the rear axle. Exhaust welded and hooked up. And she'll be sitting in a much better spot than where it is right now, I'm close though to being on the road. It takes time, money and patience. 

Sorry about the poor taping of the videos. That was my least concern , these videos are for the sound of the motor!

78 k10 4x4

Offline FearNoMan78k10

Okay so here are the videos... Don't laugh about the clutch scenario . The spring isn't hooked up to it . And my buddy was playing a trick on it having me hold the clutch in then was reassuring me to let it out so I was definitely hesitant. Lol anyways, don't know what happened to the tack, our ears still are ringing a bit lol , and he says to drive it on the road with open headers and grins and says that's what I would do .... Loooool ... I'm thinking yeah I don't know about that....
78 k10 4x4

Offline FearNoMan78k10

78 k10 4x4

Offline FearNoMan78k10

78 k10 4x4

Offline 79SierraGrande

It's ALIVE!!! ;)
— Jeremy

Offline FearNoMan78k10

Haha indeed it is!
78 k10 4x4

Offline FearNoMan78k10

The whole dang truck was rocking back and forth under the motor, that thing wanted to jump right out of the engine bay , ran like a scolded raped ape , surprised us both. He looks at me shakes his head and says I've been around awhile, that's one heck of a motor.  We cleared any cob webs, dirt or debris from underneath the truck or behind it with that 454,,,, looool ,,,, might of even started sandblasting the frame.... Lol jk...... Point is it had a ridiculous amount of fire breathing raw power dumping out those hooker headers and dang we were like two kids in a candy store, our adrenaline was pumping long after we shut her down! Our faces have a PERMAGRIN stuck on them :-)  if that doesn't get your blood moving listening to the motor I don't know what will.... I was h$&h as a kite and my buddy knew it and made me hold the clutch in just in case something happened, and I wanted to release it and he told me not to earlier messing with me, he's 50 sum, and then non chalantly tells me to release it so I thought he was joking again with me, the motor has so much friggin power to it the dang thing was tripping me out in the cab, I've never experienced that before, it was INSANE, Not just loud but had so much UMPH to the engine it just seemed like it would swallow pretty much anything around for lunch and honestly the motor has mad respect from me, thing had so much power just off idle it was just insane, made me really think twice about how it'll be driven on the street .............without wrapping it around a light pole like some owners on youtube......     Anyways guys I'm blown away with the motor, the response was right there, our faces light up like Christmas trees, it's enough to blow us away, I am extremely happy with it so far...
78 k10 4x4

Offline fitz

Sent using Tapatalk
broken frame ?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glad to hear that the motor runs strong.
Have you had a chance to check out the frame?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 11:53:53 AM by fitz »