Author Topic: shorty headers  (Read 6740 times)

Offline 78rustbucket

shorty headers
« on: August 07, 2005, 10:52:00 PM »
hey, im looking around for some shorty type headers for my 84 2wd, and pondering my options. i tried this adventure before with my 78 c10 and bought some flowtech shortys meant for 88+ trucks that ended up returning for full lenth headers cause the drivers header went inside the frame rail. i see alot of 82-92 fbody headers on ebay and wondered if anyones tried them on a c10?

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
Re: shorty headers
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 02:52:00 PM »
Block huggers will work, not sure about F-body ones though.  What exactly are you trying to do, keep them from hanging low?

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline 78rustbucket

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 04:24:00 AM »
yeah basically want them just for extra clearance after i lower it, itd be fine with full lenth, but the engineers at the plant i work at must of assumed everyone drove hummers when they went overkill building the speedbumps all over the parking lot. to be honest ive never lowered any of my trucks so im not even sure if the headers dragging would be an issue.... just kinda looks like it would be

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 04:43:00 PM »
In that case I would suggest getting Dynomax headers for a Chevelle.  They tuck up higher and out of the way.  I posted the Part number somewhere but can't find it.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline TRUCK6DRIVER

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 12:01:00 AM »
I ran Headman shorties but had sealing issues. Changed them out for Flowtech direct fit for a 92 chevy TBI engine. Work great. You will need an exhaust shop to custom bend the down pipes for the reason posted eariler. The driver side header points towards the frame and requires the correct bend to clear the frame. I will keep these headers until they rust away. They are the best ones I have owned yet.

RH

Offline 78rustbucket

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005, 03:59:00 AM »
those would be the headers lol. thot bout having them bent but after buying them i found out i paid bout 50 bucks more for them then what everyone else was charging in town plus i had a mind change and want ceramic coated as our 5 month long winters are lil to hard on them. ima try finding that post roundedline meantion bout the chevelle parts, i recall seeing somethen bout it sometime ago

Offline TRUCK6DRIVER

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2005, 11:31:00 AM »
I don't know about the F- body headers on a truck but they worked well on my Monte Carlo SS when I had it. You just cannot use the cross over pipe for the headers. You just need to buy 2 1/2" collectors and custom fit your exhaust to them.

RH

Offline DnStClr

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2005, 07:50:00 PM »
Roundedline, I'm thinking the numbers for the Chevelle shorty headers are 85118 for painted, and 86118 for ceramic coated.
Does that sound right?

Don
87 Chevy Silverado

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2005, 03:05:00 PM »