Author Topic: Spark plugs arcing  (Read 2192 times)

Offline winningz

Spark plugs arcing
« on: November 25, 2013, 11:56:29 PM »
My spark plug in the back is arcing to my header.  ??? its the fourth one closest to the cab on the driver side. 1978 chevy k10

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Spark plugs arcing
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 12:46:15 AM »
Is there a question there somewhere?   ???

On the left (driver's) side of the engine the cylinders are numbered front-to-rear, 1-3-5-7; and on the right (passenger's) side front-to-rear, 2-4-6-8.  So, you're telling us the #7 spark plug wire is arcing to the exhaust.

How much clearance (in inches) do you see between the wire and the header?  Post a pic.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline winningz

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 12:54:33 AM »
ha sorry got all worked up. theres zero clearance, it is touching the header. cant get the dang thing off now its stuck to the header. will post a pic brb

Offline winningz

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 01:00:29 AM »
Here is the pic. It is touching the header and I can't get it off now

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 03:28:19 AM »
You need to dimple the header pipe to produce an air gap between the wire and the pipe.  Try to find a shorter "header" spark plug - Accel markets them.  Replace the damaged spark plug wire.  Sparingly smear some dialectric grease inside the spark plug boot before connecting it to the plug.  Pick up and install Nomex spark plug sleeves on the business ends of the plug wires.  Be careful when removing the wires in the future, so as not to tear the boots.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)