Author Topic: Column Shifter too soft  (Read 22231 times)

Offline 75chevybakers

Column Shifter too soft
« on: September 19, 2010, 10:08:40 PM »
I got a new column today from craigslist and put it in. Everything works great and steering is tight. The shifter arm is very soft though. I seen this spring on a truck website and cannot figure out where it goes...

Its called shift handle control spring with tilt...

Offline 75chevybakers

Re: Column Shifter too soft
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 09:02:21 PM »
hmmmm

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 09:24:22 PM »
I'm not following what your issue is? That spring is for the tilt
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline fitz

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 10:26:39 PM »
Are you talking abut a sloppy felling to the shifter? check the linkage. There is a plastic sleeve that goes into the frame mount, Is it missing?

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 12:33:45 AM »
I think what he’s talking about is the shifter arm is soft ;D like when you have to pull it towards you to take it out of park then for it to find a gear how it kind of slides into place
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 05:46:18 AM »
soft? Wouldn't that be loose or sloppy?
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 08:56:42 AM »
Maybe
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline 75chevybakers

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 11:42:31 PM »
Its kinda hard to explain. My other truck you would pull the lever towards you and took a little to pop it down into each gear. This one you pull it towards you and its ready to fall all the way down into 1st gear. Like no resistance to each shift position. The plastic sleeve is on the linkage under the booster but where it ties to the frame mount and trans, no springs. It has like a 1/2" rod that is in a 3/4" hole on the frame, then ties strait to trans with a cotter pin. This is how it was before... Just feels so soft, I always miss reverse and drive cause its so soft and easy to pass gears when selecting.

Offline Grim 82

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 09:12:10 AM »
Where the rod from the linkage on the side of the trans fits to the frame in that dished bracket, there should be a domed plastic washer and a coil spring about 3" long that goes over that rod and seats in the bracket. What trans do you have? The resistance between gears comes from inside the transmission. If you go underneath with the rod disconnected and manually twist the shift linkage at the side of the trans you should feel resistance and then a positive click as you turn it through the gears.
Give a man a gun, and he might rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he might rob the world.

Offline 78 Chevyrado

• Z62 ON-ROAD
  • Site Supporters
    • My Photobucket Site
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 11:04:39 AM »
Its kinda hard to explain. My other truck you would pull the lever towards you and took a little to pop it down into each gear. This one you pull it towards you and its ready to fall all the way down into 1st gear. Like no resistance to each shift position. The plastic sleeve is on the linkage under the booster but where it ties to the frame mount and trans, no springs. It has like a 1/2" rod that is in a 3/4" hole on the frame, then ties strait to trans with a cotter pin. This is how it was before... Just feels so soft, I always miss reverse and drive cause its so soft and easy to pass gears when selecting.

If it's that easy to shift and actually engages in each gear, the part in the trans is probably broken or worn out...    It's easy to get to though, just pull off the pan and have a look.  The detent you feel for each gear aren't made by the column but by the part in the trans.  The part in the column only prevents you from selecting certain gear selections without pulling the shifter back towards you.  its simply a protection from accidentally bumping the shifter from say Drive to Reverse.

Here's the piece.  Each valley in it is a gear.  the bar with the roller is spring steel and the roller settles in each valley when you are in a gear.  maybe that spring bar is loose or broken, or the spiked piece is worn.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 11:07:12 AM by 78 Chevyrado »
Kenny

1978 C-20, 350/400, 3.73, Graystone Metallic, Raceline Renegade 8 Wheels - 18x8.5, 275/70R18 BFG KO's

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 04:42:04 PM »
If the detents are fine on the trans then it's slop in the linkage or your shift tube is broken.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline 75chevybakers

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 06:11:09 PM »
The trans is new from jegs, bought it with my tax money this year... But I do not have the dished thing or the spring, its just a rod through a hole, lots of wobble, maybe this is some of the problem. I will get a picture by tonight. Everything shifts smooth, dont think the trans has any problem. Plus I can feel each click.

Offline Grim 82

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 07:58:43 PM »
Sounds like you are missing the white plastic bushing and the spring.
Give a man a gun, and he might rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he might rob the world.

Offline 75chevybakers

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 03:35:51 PM »
yes i am... thank you

Offline 79chevyK10

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 08:58:38 PM »
I have a similar problem with my shifter in my truck.  It only really "clicks" into Park and then from reverse to neutral you can just slide it down without pulling it toward you.  The you have to pull it back to get it into Drive, then it can slide down into 2nd/1st.  I took the linkage off the trans and turned the trans piece by hand and it "clicks" into all gears just fine.  So to fix my slop do I need to get a new plastic sleeve and spring, or do I need the piece that makes you have to pull the shifter towards you for each gear?
1978 Chevy Monza Spyder -- 305ci V8, 4 Speed, Posi Rear
1979 Chevy K10 Scottsdale -- 350ci V8,  TH350, NP208, add-a-leafs, 32x11.5x15s
1991 Toyota Pickup -- Daily Driver
1993 Toyota Pickup -- Custom Built Rock Crawler w/ Exo Cage, Lockers, and Winch