Author Topic: Steering Column Issue  (Read 2257 times)

Offline bladerunner

• Registered Users
Steering Column Issue
« on: October 06, 2012, 08:25:05 PM »
So last year I fixed the sloppy steering column issue. The issue was mainly that the column was very sloppy towards its base. The column has been good. Well in the last few months, I have noticed some play developing in the steering wheel alone. It has become progressively worse. I figured I might have a bad bearing, so today I went ahead and took the column apart to check the bearing. I also got a new bearing and race in case I was right.  Well the bearing and race in the column are fine, but there is still a lot of play to the left and right and lot of play if you pull back on the shaft. Is the u-joint in the column bad? Not sure at this point and I am thinking the only thing that might fix this a new column, but again I don't know.  As of now the truck won't pass inspection due to the amount of play.

So I am sure you can tell I have really no idea what I am doing, so I am looking for any advice. Thanks.
85 K10 Shortbed
94 Impala SS

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: Steering Column Issue
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 10:00:58 AM »
Is the slop in the upper section?  Did you loc-tite the bolts the first time?

Offline bladerunner

• Registered Users
Re: Steering Column Issue
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 01:23:57 PM »
It is sloppy in the steering wheel alone. The rest of the column is tight as I used loc-tite on the 4 bolts.  When you pull the steering wheel, the sloppiness remains in the shaft.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 12:44:46 PM by Captkaos »
85 K10 Shortbed
94 Impala SS