Author Topic: steering wheel lockplate retaining ring  (Read 15673 times)

Offline 74stepside

steering wheel lockplate retaining ring
« on: May 07, 2006, 09:13:00 PM »
ok so i installed a new ignition cylinder in my truck tonight everything went fine except when i go to put the steering wheel back on i cant compress the spring enough to be able to put the retaining ring on the third groove....i even had my friend push on the steering wheel while i tried sliding the ring into place  but i could not get it....any tips on how to make this easier??

Offline toplessblazer

• Frequent Member
Re: steering wheel lockplate retaining ring
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 08:23:00 PM »
Check out the tech forum about fixing loose column

Offline 74stepside

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 07:44:00 PM »
that article was not helpfull, anybody else have any ideas?

Offline 123 pugsy

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 08:50:00 PM »
You should be able to push the steering wheel in enough to see the groove without too much pressure.Is something not installed correctly from your assembly?It takes a bit of patience to work the ring into place.I usually push it on with a large flat screwdriver.

Edited by: 123 pugsy at: 5/9/06 7:54 pm
Pugsy
76 C10 LWB
TPI 350

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 05:12:00 AM »
I'm not understanding what you are doing? The steering wheel doesn't compress any spring. It sits atop of the lock plate ehich compresses the preload spring over the canceling cam. It's retained by a snapring. You should be using a lockplate depresser to install the retaining ring.

Here is the procedure....

Remove nut retainer and steering wheel nut.
Using a suitable screwdriver, pry cover upward from lock.
Depress lock plate and pry snap ring out of groove. Remove snap ring and lock plate.
Remove turn signal switch, lock cylinder, ignition switch, dimmer and buzzer switch, if used, Figs. 8 and 9.
On column shift models, remove upper shift lever pivot pin, then the shifter lever.
Remove upper bearing thrust washer, 4 retaining screws and housing assembly.
Remove thrust cap from lower portion of housing.
Lift ignition switch actuating rod and rack assembly. Remove rack preload spring, lock rack bolt and spring assembly from housing.
Remove shift lever detent plate.
Using a suitable screwdriver, push ignition switch actuator sector through lock cylinder hole.
Remove gearshift lever housing and shroud from steering column jacket assembly.
On floor shift models, remove transmission control lock tube housing and shroud.
Remove shift lever spring from gearshift lever housing.
On floor shift models, remove lock tube spring.
Pull steering shaft from lower end of steering column jacket assembly.
Remove back-up light or neutral safety switch from steering column.
Remove lower bearing retaining clip.
On automatic transmission and floor shift models, remove lower bearing retainer, bearing adapter assembly, shift tube thrust spring and washer.
On manual transmission column shift models, remove lower bearing adapter, bearing and first reverse shift lever. Remove gearshift housing lower bearing from upper end of steering column jacket.
Assembly

Coat all friction surfaces with suitable grease.
Install sector into turn signal and lock cylinder housing.
Install shift lever detent plate onto housing.
Insert rack preload spring into the housing.
Assemble locking bolt onto crossover arm on rack, then insert rack and lock bolt assembly into the housing.
Install thrust cup onto bottom hub of housing.
Install gearshift housing lower bearing. Align bearing indentations with steering column protrusions.
Install shift lever spring into gearshift lever or lock tube housing. Install housing and shroud assembly onto upper end of column jacket.
With shift lever housing in position, install turn signal and lock cylinder housing onto steering column jacket.Ensure gearshift housing is in Park position and rack pulled downward. Ensure turn signal housing is completely seated on the steering column jacket.
Install lower bearing into adapter assembly.
Insert shift tube assembly into lower end of the steering column jacket. Rotate assembly until upper shift tube key engages housing keyway.
On automatic transmission and floor shift column models, assemble spring, lower bearing and adapter assembly onto bottom of steering column jacket. While holding the adapter in position, install lower bearing reinforcement and retainer clip. Ensure clip snaps into the steering column jacket and reinforcement slots.
On manual transmission and column shift models, loosely install steering column jacket and shift tube attaching screws. Assemble first-reverse lever, lower bearing and adapter assembly into bottom of steering column jacket. While holding adapter assembly in place, install bearing reinforcement and retaining clip. Ensure retaining clip snaps into steering column jacket and reinforcement slots.
Install neutral safety or back-up light switch onto steering column.
Install steering shaft into steering column, then the upper bearing thrust washer.
Install turn signal switch, lock cylinder, ignition switch, dimmer and buzzer switch, if used.
Install shift lever and shift lever pivot pin.
Install steering column assembly into vehicle.
Install dash panel to steering column bracket. Torque bracket bolts to 30 ft. lbs.

,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline gbskunk2006

• Registered Users
steering wheel lockplate retaining ring
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 06:42:00 AM »
Hmmm, sounds like you need something like a Lock-Plate remover which is what I used when I replaced my Ignition Cylinder.  It was a snap with this tool to remove and replace the retaining clip.  I'm just wondering how you were able to remove it in the first place :-)

Steering Wheel Lock-Plate Remover and Installer

86 GMC C15, 4.3 Litre V6, TH400
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=6879.0
90 Toyota SR5 4X4 Ext Cab V6 5 speed
99 Toyota Solara SLE

Offline 74stepside

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 05:07:00 PM »
thanks for the help... i went to autozone and rented the tool ...... had it done in 5 mins...