Author Topic: Brake lights stay on  (Read 824 times)

Offline bigblockchevelleman

Brake lights stay on
« on: April 20, 2023, 08:06:18 PM »
1987 chevy truck  brake lights stay on have replaced the switch no help even with the switch unplugged brake light will come on when I install the bulb  any help or suggestions would be great THANKS Steve

Online bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Brake lights stay on
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2023, 08:17:55 PM »
Make sure the emergency flasher switch isn't depressed.  What happens if you unplug the turn signal switch? 
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2023, 09:25:55 AM »
Haven't tried unplugging anything  , turn singles work  , flashers stay solid  ( thinking it should because only have front bulbs in ) going to start tracing from the tail light forward because I had the bed off while painting ,everything was apart because because it's a complete rebuild  and I know it's something I missed or have caused like so many other small issues I've corrected  Thank for the help Steve

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2023, 09:54:34 AM »
Was your lights working prior the removing the bed? If yes and the only thing you have done was disconnect the rear harness, that may be where your problem is.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2023, 10:47:31 AM »
Make sure the emergency flasher switch isn't depressed.

First, this ^^^^^.

Second, only after the first step is verified and the problem persists, unplug the turn signal switch alongside the steering column.  If the brake light remains illuminated, the brake/turn circuit is shorted to B+ somewhere in the wiring between the turn signal switch and the rear lamps.  Otherwise, the issue lies in the brake lamp feed between the brake lamp switch and the turn signal switch, inclusive.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2023, 09:26:28 PM »
Thanks  ,today I unplugged the wires from the lights and tested the plug and it's hot somewhere forward the plug that I unplugged was where I unplugged when I took the bed off . Is it possible if the brake light fuse is blown to cause a backfeed  ? Thought of that after I had come to the house  , I did replace the multi function switch hoping it would correct the wiper delay unfortunately it didn't fix delay thank you for your help and time Steve