Author Topic: The Bear  (Read 23643 times)

Offline XrayTedd

The Bear
« on: April 06, 2016, 06:02:33 PM »
Ok guys so as promised I'm gonna give you the run down of the progress so far. Fair warning cosmetically there hasn't been much improvement.  My main focus has been on the drive/power train.

So here's the back story. I bought my 87 about 2.5 years ago. It was a barn find that didn't run. The body was pretty solid considering it's in the Midwest. One small cancer spot on the rear drivers quarter. These are the only pics of her the day I got her.  Dropped the tank and replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, and rebuilt the throttle body. And then she ran. So I took her out for her maiden voyage to where else but the gas station.
Found out the PO had swapped the 700r for a th350. The th350 was burnt up and shot. Since my use for the truck is DD and recreational weekends nothing hardcore I decided to go back to the 700r. Found one on CL out of an awd cyclone. Traded the th350 to a trans parts shop for new seals, stick tube, tc, filter and gaskets.
Over the next year or so spent alot of time and energy getting the motor to run right (broken vacuum lines, bad sensors ect). Then turned to the exhaust. Summit long tube headers with 3" single in/out hooker max flow, no cat. Installed the O2 bung in the collector and upgrade O2 to the heated 3 wire. Also ditched the smog pump
Here's with the top off
I then came across some deals and made some purchases. First was a set of rallys with rings and centers. Tires were small but had more tread than the mud slicks she came with.
Then I came across a deal on a soft top.
Still needed to do something about those street meats. Then I came across a set of 32" bfg ats. 90% tread mounted on a set of 6 lug rallys for 500. Couldn't pass it up.

Gonna take a break then come back and post the nitty gritty. Stay tuned....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

"Till the wheels fall off"

Offline XrayTedd

Re: The Bear
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 06:33:08 PM »
Ok. Fingers rested now back at typing. After putting the new - ish tires on I didn't want to ruin them with the bad ball joints and such.  Heads up what you're about to see may be hated. And I agree I'm not fan either so I'm gonna get it out of the way. I know the dangers and risks involved to having blocks on the front leafs and no I'm not a fan of them. Right now the truck doesn't get driven much and I'm waiting on the funds to replace the springs. Moving on, I rebuilt the front end to start. Ball joints, idler arm, pitman arm, bearings, seals, axle shaft u joints, rotors, pads, shocks, and hubs. With some clean up work. Here's the before, during and after pics.....
Shortly after this I did the exjay steering shaft upgrade.
The ride was much nicer after but not good enough. The steering box is shot and is I currently have a red head steering box on my wish list. 

During all this work I had a block at the machine shop getting cleaned and machined to be built. I'm getting real close on that and will cover it in another segment.

Next up will be the rear end. I'll be back in few minutes to cover that build. Again stay tuned. 

Offline XrayTedd

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 08:37:00 PM »
Moving on the the rear end. For the most part this was the same as the front. New bearings and seals, brakes, e brake, axle shafts, and shocks. One thing you'll learn about me is when I get my hands on something. It gets a face lift not just fixed. I'm just touching briefly on the work that has already been done on this truck. So if you have any questions or comments feel free to jump in anytime. So here it is, before, during and after...started by pulling the cover and giving the gears a good inspection. The just dove right in...
I go through alot of wire wheels. And it gets a little dusty in my little garage.
And now ready for paint..

Shortly after all this, and during the build of the motor, my tcase started acting up. So I pushed the motor aside and tore into the tcase. This was my first time to even see what the inside of a tcase looks like so I was a little nervous with this one. And I was pressed for time cause snow was on the way. So first thing I noticed was rust. Just spots of it here and there. But most was in crucial areas.but the gears were in great shape. Very little wear. The issue was in the engaging forks. The pads were worn off and continued to wear the forks to next to nothin.
So I searched online to find some replacement parts and got more than I bargained for. An old man near me rebuilds on the side said he had any part I would need. I ended up with a complete shaft assembly, new planetary case, new forks and pads, and a complete seal kit for $80. With parts in hand, time to clean the case and cross member. ready for paint and assembly.

And had back on the road for the snow.

Next segment is the motor build. I'll start from the beginning and go to the current. From there you all will be caught up to present day.

Offline Displaced_Txn

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 09:06:50 PM »
good looking build, seems like ive seen it on another forum

Offline XrayTedd

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 09:10:37 PM »
good looking build, seems like ive seen it on another forum
Thanks!
And there's a chance you've seen it. I'm on a k5 forum as well.

Offline Displaced_Txn

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 10:26:11 PM »
Thats what I was hinting about. lots of good info and other knowledge here as well as the other forum were both on. plus chris has some pretty cool stuff for the squares made

Offline XrayTedd

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 10:28:04 PM »
Nice! I'll have to check it out.

Offline Captain Swampy

• Wisconsin
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 09:48:01 PM »
Nice blazer! Lookin forward to the build.
1987  350TBI 700R4  4X4  4.56 gears  33" BFG All Terrain

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=32209.0

Offline XrayTedd

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 08:32:32 PM »
So here's the new heart in process. I started with a CL special basket case 5.7 out of a 93 half ton.
Sent the block and crank off to the machine shop to get cleaned, bored .030 over, surfaced, fluxed, and line honed. Crank was turned to a 10/10 grind.
While it was in the shop I started deciding which way I wanted to go with the build. After some research and having a deal I could not pass up fall into my lap I decided go with Tune Port Injection.
Being this was previously a TBI motor I had to find a different set of heads as the stock just wouldn't perform for my liking. A good friend of mine turned me onto a secret for getting a set of Dart Eagle Iron SS heads new for half the cost. These are 2.02/1.60 72cc heads with the fast burn chamber like that of vortec heads, but are a better flowing head than the vortecs.
The heads will be paired with hypereutectic flattop pistons, a Crane 2040 cam, double roller gear set, and all new guts. The only parts of the old motor being reused are the block, crank, rockers, and pushrods.
Now that I have my parts and block back, it's time for paint....
Now comes the assembly.... stamp the rods so they'll always go in the right order.
After having the rotating assembly balanced, in goes the crank, pistons, cam, and gear set.
with my $3 homemade degree kit, I degree the cam.
Then on goes the heads.
Top it off with the intake system just to see how it's gonna look.
Then I got a deal on a new computer controlled hei dizzy and an aluminum dizzy cover
So this is how she currently sits...

Now the tpi runners had some dents so I had to address the issue before it get sent off to powder coat.Before
After
I'll have an update after it gets sent off and back from powder coat.
Questions? Comments? 

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 10:04:17 PM »
Welcome, good build so far.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline XrayTedd

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 10:13:29 AM »
Welcome, good build so far.
Thanks LTZ!  I gotta rebuild my funds before I go any further. All that work was done in about a 6 month span.

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 11:39:36 AM »
Haha I hear that. I'm gonna be replacing my entire front end components hopefully this weekend.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline XrayTedd

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2016, 06:40:00 PM »
Was about to send the intake system off for powder coat. Upon assembly I found out that pooping the dents has caused the tubes to twist and straighten just enough to cause alignment issues. So now time to repair or replace. Since repairing is the cheaper of the two I'm gonna try that first. I got a piece of 5" angle iron 1/4" thick and drilled some holes. idea is to draw in the 2 flanges with bolts flush with the surface Then, while they're under tension, try to relieve the stress by putting them through several heat cycles with a torch. This is best idea I've come up with so far. So if anyone has any other ideas, please share.

Now that I have my torch in hand, Where's my beer...!?

Offline fitz

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2016, 09:55:45 PM »
This is a great project.
I'm a huge fan of TPI motors, especially in 73-87's.
How did you get your TPI intake so clean? Was it bead blasted?
I always thought that the stock runners could not be powder coated because they have epoxy joints.  I could be wrong on this
I could never figure out how so many runners get dented.  I assume  its from people using chain to pull motors out of the cars.  It looks like you used the balls you can buy on ebay to remove the dents, how did they work?
  What are you going to use for a wiring harness & computer? Are you going aftermarket or using GM parts.
I'll be keeping an eye on this build.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 10:01:07 PM by fitz »

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2016, 10:29:34 PM »
I used to have a 91 Camaro, it was RPO code B4C police model. It was a traffic enforcement/pursuit car for the police department in the town I grew up in, my mom drove it as a traffic officer for the same department. It was a Z28, RS body kit, 4 wheel disc brakes, 4L60, and TPI 350. That car hauled aces. That thing was stupid fast. It was a great car. We bought shortly after the department retired it. Had it for about 8 years or so after. I drove it for about 6 months while I was putting an engine in my truck. That car was a lot of fun.
LTZ Cheyenne C20