Author Topic: Cigarette lighter help  (Read 2214 times)

Offline kj4ltc

Cigarette lighter help
« on: September 03, 2019, 07:09:53 PM »
Hey guys, working through a 1983 K10 Scottsdale.  I’m needing power to the cig lighter which I have found to be completely unwired.  I know the ground is designed to be achieved thru the mount and dash, but I don’t know where my + 12vdc is supposed to come from.  There is an orange wire that has been stripped back and is twisted onto the outer casing....should that have been my +12 that someone wired incorrectly?  Is it supposed to be switched or constant?  Thanks in advance

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Cigarette lighter help
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 07:23:51 PM »
For 1983 vintage trucks, the cigar lighter was protected by the 20-amp HORN-DOME fuse.  The orange power wire (Ckt 240) that fed the lighter plugged into one of the "BAT" cavities near the lower edge of the fuse block, just left of the turn signal flasher.  It is constant 12 volts (B+).
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline kj4ltc

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 08:51:19 PM »
Ok, so the orange wire should in fact have my +12vdc present (assuming the fuse is good)?

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 08:59:29 PM »
...assuming it is the correct orange wire (not all orange wires were created equal), assuming it is plugged into the correct fuse box cavity and assuming it originally connected to the cigar lighter....  Eliminate some of the initial assumptions by checking it with a test light with the fuse installed and removed.   ;)
Rich
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!

Offline kj4ltc

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 10:29:30 PM »
I’ll have to do that tomorrow, as it sits right now I have no voltage with key on or off.  I’ll need to find a fuse box diagram to decipher which fuse it should be

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 08:58:24 AM »
For 1983 vintage trucks, the cigar lighter was protected by the 20-amp HORN-DOME fuse.  The orange power wire (Ckt 240) that fed the lighter plugged into one of the "BAT" cavities near the lower edge of the fuse block, just left of the turn signal flasher.  It is constant 12 volts (B+).

1983 Wiring Manual
Rich