Author Topic: fuel pump  (Read 4157 times)

Offline markzepp820

• Registered Users
fuel pump
« on: July 20, 2006, 05:06:00 AM »
My truck died out of nowhere a week ago. So I replaced the fuel pump, sure enough that was the problem. the pump is a week old and my truck did the same thing again, it died. Its a brand new pump. Could the pushrod be bad? I don't want to keep replacing fuel pumps if theres a different problem. any help is appreciated,
                                                    thanks, Mark

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Re: fuel pump
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 07:37:00 AM »
Were did you get the pump? at a no name brand parts store. I have gotton bad parts from the chain parts stores before. Try putting a presure gauge in line to the carb.

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 08:33:00 PM »
I don't know what year your vehicle is if it is FI or Carb.  If it is carb, take your gas line off at carb and get a clear mason jar.  Turn your engine over a few times while someone holds the line in the mason jar....see how much fuel gets pumped out. If none, then it shouldn't even start. If you get even a little it should still start, just wont accelerate up hill etc very well. If you get some gas and it doesn't start, look elsewhere--pump is fine, or at least not the cause of it not starting.  

SgtDel
aka "Andy"

www.delbridge.net

1979 Big 10 383 stroker
1991 Blu 'Burb 3/4 ton 4x4

Offline markzepp820

• Registered Users
fuel pump
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 04:49:00 AM »
Its a 79' chevy pickup with a 350. I just bought another brand new one today, put it on and drove fine. 3 hours later it went out again. So I'm thinking something is causing these fuel pumps to go out.Maybe the strainer? Or moister or oil going into the back of it where the pushrod is at? I don't know. Any suggstions are appreciated. Thanks, Mark

Offline Lt.Del

• www.delbridge.net
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 09:53:00 AM »
Quote:
moister or oil going into the back of it where the pushrod is at?

You are supposed to have oil going to where the pushrod is.  As long as the fuel pump gasket doesnt leak the oil, there should be no problem there.  Does the rod show any wear?  Are you fitting the pump arm under the rod?

Just because your engine quits, are you sure it is the fuel pump? Again, try to test I mentioned earlier and see what kind of volume of gas comes out.

I am assuming you have a qjet...have you tried to replace the filter?  You may have junk in your tank.  

just a few thoughts

SgtDel
aka "Andy"

www.delbridge.net

1979 Big 10 383 stroker

Offline 123 pugsy

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2006, 07:48:00 AM »
Oil does indeed go in the back of it.I've had a fuel pump drip oil from a small hole on the body,but the pump itself still worked fine.

I agree with Andy. Disconnect the line and give the engine a spin to see if this is really the problem.

Pugsy
76 C10 LWB
TPI 350

Offline markzepp820

• Registered Users
fuel pump
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 02:47:00 AM »
I read something a few days ago about fuel pumps online. It said dirt, debris, rust, ect...can run through the lines into your fuel pump and cause failure. I know theres minor rust and debris in the gas tank. I'm guessing the small particles get past the strainer. So I bought an inline fuel filter and the trucks going good so far. Thanks for the suggestions. Very much appreciated.

Mark

P.s. Cant afford another gas tank right now but will buy one soon, lol

Offline Lt.Del

• www.delbridge.net
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 03:41:00 PM »
don't let the tank get below 1/4 or you will be getting the "settled" junk.  

SgtDel
aka "Andy"

www.delbridge.net

1979 Big 10 383 stroker

Offline markzepp820

• Registered Users
fuel pump
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 11:48:00 PM »
thanks

Offline DnStClr

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2006, 11:28:00 AM »
Hm- 3 pumps bad.I hope it's the filter like SgtDel says and  your cam hasn't begun to wear out.
The pressure on a gauge  should be @4-6 psi. You think maybe the parts place is giving you the wrong pump? The rocker arm has to be the right length- same with the push rod.

Don St.Clair
Culleoka Tn

Don
87 Chevy Silverado

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2006, 01:57:00 PM »
If you have 3 pumps that are bad, I would suspect the junk in the tank.  Regardless of how much gas is in it, the pickup pulls from the BOTTOM of the tank.  If you know the tank is bad, it might be a good idea to check it.  

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project