Author Topic: Steering gear O-Ring size  (Read 2203 times)

Offline uprising

Steering gear O-Ring size
« on: March 12, 2019, 07:39:52 AM »
Hi guys,

can someone tell me the exact size of the o-ring? I don‘t want to order one peace from the usa. The delivery and tax is much higher then the whole ring. I can‘t find the specification and i don‘t want to open the steering gear before i have the seal.

Offline MIKE S

• Registered Users
Re: Steering gear O-Ring size
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 09:41:56 AM »
Little more information. There are several Orings and seals in a GM steering box. Input bearing adjuster, end cap, top cover?

Offline uprising

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 02:04:29 PM »
i tried to upload a pic but with the iphone it isn't possible...
I attached the mentioned seal. Is it really just a o-ring or is there an other seal?

Offline MIKE S

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 05:04:53 PM »
The problem with that part is it is not a simple oring. Don't go by what the illustration shows. It is a seal bonded to a metal shim under the cover. If you look at the cover you will see to tabs bent over. That is the locating tabs for the shim/seal. The aftermarket kits will not have that part in it. it is still available from GM under part number 7817486. $38.44 list price. It contains the shim/seal and four new bolts. There are two ways to replace it. Center the steering gear , pull off pitman arm, remove bolts, pull cover and sector out. Replace seal, reinstall in reverse. The only problem with that method is you may disturb the bottom shaft seal and create a leak. If you are not going to replace the sector seal, you can just pull off the top cover. You will have to unscrew the sector adjustment to do that. You can do the readjustment yourself. I would advise to do some research on that if you don't know how because you will either cause a bind or have to much play in the steering if not done properly. 
Google GM7817486 and then click on image. You will see what I'm talking about
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 05:13:07 PM by MIKE S »

Offline uprising

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 04:08:41 AM »
Got it! I will order a package at rockauto. This should fit right? (Attachement)
I would prefer the second way to change the seal. The only thing which makes me nervous is the adjustment... I have the repair book from Haynes and the official from GM. I hope it helps :)

Offline MIKE S

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 10:09:22 AM »
Yes that seal kit should work. When you make the adjustment it is best to have the box out of the vehicle so that you can get the correct "feel" of the over center adjustment. Very hard to do in the vehicle even for the experienced mechanic.

Offline uprising

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 02:48:37 PM »
Okaayy
Sounds not really easy! Maybe i have a joker for that adjustment. There is a crazy guy in my neightbourhood who maybe can do that. He loves old US cars and owns a ford f1 from 1949, pontiac from 195x and and GMC PanelVan 196x. I keep my fingers crossed that he can help me out.
My hope was just to open the screes and replace the seal. ;)