Author Topic: Throttle cable dragging  (Read 2072 times)

Offline Darty03

Throttle cable dragging
« on: January 18, 2017, 07:52:34 PM »
My throttle cable seems to drag, it makes it hard to press the gas pedal smoothly. I can disconnect the cable from the carburetor and have someone pull on the cable while I press the gas pedal and if feels the same. I've replaced it with 2 pioneer brand cables and the same thing. One thing is, they seem to long? There is a loop of extra cable between the mount on the motor and firewall. This seems to be correct and how the original part was from pictures Ive found. If I straighten out the cable then its smooth, so the extra slack seems to be putting it in a bind. Are these pioneer cables just crap or am I missing something?

This is on my 83 k10 with a big block and an adjustable edelbrock cable mount on the intake
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 07:56:10 PM by Darty03 »

Offline Stewart G Griffin

Re: Throttle cable dragging
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 08:18:38 PM »
Your first problem is pioneer.   Try to get a GM cable.

Offline Darty03

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 10:50:01 AM »
I cant seem to find an ac delco cable. I find ATP, Pioneer, and a Motion brand cable but that's it. All the gm parts sites dont show any and I don't even see any on ebay.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 10:52:18 AM by Darty03 »

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 07:57:36 PM »
Does the pedal operate freely with the cable disconnected from the pedal?  Does the cable move smoothly with both ends disconnected?  With the cable connected to the carburetor, but disconnected from the pedal, how difficult is it to pull the cable by hand from under the dash vs operating the throttle directly at the carburetor?  Can you post a pic of the cable between the firewall and the carburetor so we can see the "loop" and how the cable is attached to the carburetor?
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)