Author Topic: Dual Tanks Switch Valve?  (Read 70373 times)

Offline trink2030

Re: Dual Tanks Switch Valve?
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2011, 09:44:05 PM »
Alright, I'm ready to do this now!  Back brakes and springs went great.  My 'good' tank is leaking about 1/4 tank a week so I'm going to go ahead and replace it.  Here's my plan for getting dual tanks up and running.  Please let me know if you can think of anything else I need here...Any advice would be helpful as well

2 20 gallon tanks. 
1 FV5 fuel tank selector switch
2 sets of tank straps
Driver side fuel sender ARBC670318
Passenger side fuel sender ARBC670317

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2011, 09:52:21 PM »
     The only thing you are missing is the switching valve under your cab and the wiring, so it those are good, you are golden.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline trink2030

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2011, 10:07:37 PM »
The 'switch' I'm referring to is actually the valve you speak of.  I've already replaced the switch 'in' the cab.  Here's hoping the wiring is all there and good!  Thanks

Offline Skunksmash

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2011, 04:08:17 PM »
I hate napa.

Ever notice how you go in there, and the employees don't even look at ya? Even when you're talking to them they don't look at ya. Cause they just don't care. I think its cause they're paid like $6 an hour lol

Back on topic, I think I may have a problem with my switch valve also. It seems that they are something of a common problem. I'm just waiting on mine to finally die so I can be lazy and not have to fix it until the problem identifies itself  ;D
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 04:11:16 PM by Skunksmash »

Offline trink2030

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2012, 05:00:51 PM »
Hello again. 

I changed both tanks, senders, selector switch and valve.  Still only the right tank works, it doesn't matter what I try, the fuel gauge will only read the right tank and it will not pull from the left tank.

The wiring harness on the valve looks to be in good shape, all good clean connections.  The selector switch in the truck looks to be the original harness and not modified. 

Any suggestions would be great.  I'm thinking something somewhere has been changed electrically, but I can't find any troubleshooting data on it..(eg. ohm reads.....)

Thanks folks!

Offline trink2030

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2012, 08:03:12 AM »
I think I'm onto something.  I'm not getting 12v to the pink on the back of the interior switch.  According to the below thread that is what is needed.  Unfortunately after the wires leave the harness they go up further into the dash, making it hard to track.  Anyone see anything wrong with finding a fuse that is ignition switchable and just jumping off of that?

http://www.justanswer.com/chevy/0qwpx-1987-chevy-intermittent-versa-put-new-fuel-tank-selector-switch.html

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline trink2030

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2012, 05:09:47 PM »
Found it!  It was the connector just inside engine compartment.  Simply disconnected.  Dual tanks work perfectly now.  Thanks folks. 

Thanks for the diagram, already had it just didn't know what I was looking at.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2012, 05:42:12 AM »
      Glad to hear you got it working.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline Johnret

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2019, 06:37:27 PM »
Found it!  It was the connector just inside engine compartment.  Simply disconnected.  Dual tanks work perfectly now.  Thanks folks. 

Thanks for the diagram, already had it just didn't know what I was looking at.

I might be having the same problem, can you tell me what color wire was disconnected, and where it was connected?

Thanks

John

Offline Stinky

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2019, 09:52:26 PM »
Whats the tanks issue? I have dual saddle tanks on my 78.
88.5 Chevy Suburban Silverado V20 350 5.7tbi 400th 208 4.10 4" lift on 33's w Front & Rear LSD

78 GMC Sierra Grande K1500 350 5.7 205 3.42 4" lift on 33's w Rear LSD. I don't recommend that gear and tire combo unless you like burning up clutches...A lot

Offline Johnret

Re: Dual Tanks Switch 1985 Chevy C20
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2019, 04:45:04 AM »
In the middle of a rebuild. The issue I have is, I omh'd out the Pink wire off the dual tank selector switch on the dash to a Pink wire in the engine compartment off the bulkhead connector. The connector on the end of the Pink wire in the engine compartment is missing, the end of the Pink wire is a single female spade connector. I have know idea what the connector should look like or where it should be connected. I think it may be the 12v supply wire for the switch.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2019, 06:55:24 PM »
the wire should run down the frame rail on the drivers side.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Johnret

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2019, 05:48:49 AM »
Thanks for the reply, figured it out... don't know if there working yet, project truck isn't ready to fire up.