Author Topic: 75 c10 350sb clunking noise under acceleration  (Read 12591 times)

Offline Greybeard

• Frequent Member
Re: 75 c10 350sb clunking noise under acceleration
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2016, 12:35:12 AM »
maybe a stethoscope will help too. I used to use a long philips screwdriver but a stethoscope is much easier and less deadly. Plus it's not too expensive. http://www.tooltopia.com/otc-tools-4491.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=paid_search_google_pla&scid=scplp6824168&gclid=CIXZkOCFvcsCFQYNaQodIE8DIQ
I am what I am and I ain't no more!

Offline c10dude75

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2016, 12:59:31 AM »
Thank you yeah ima take a look tomorrow at some of the stuff that you guys have brought up also will be taking some pic's see if can get a video to help but yeah I live in oregon so hopefully not raining tomorrow that and it's my only day off so ill try do as much as I can

Offline c10dude75

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2016, 11:21:46 PM »
Chocolate milky looking oil on the dip stick I think I might of cleaned little bit of it up before that's why not as much but like I said found some coating inside top of valve covers. but yeah Couldn't get under the truck far enough to check for cracks in the plate also since I was under there was curious if stock torque converters are sky blue / baby blue or if that's after market. But yeah was raining a lot today wasnt able to do much there was a few breaks in th weather but barely enough time before it started raining like heck again.

Offline c10dude75

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2016, 12:13:28 AM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WrMHzjXZ-Rg
The link 🙌 I guess it's more of a knocking been a while since i have drove it but yeah sounds bad.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2016, 12:41:54 AM »
The Youtube video is locked as private and is inaccessible to public view.

My concern with "chocolate milk" is moisture.  If there is significant water in the oil it will whip into a mayonnaise like consistency and appearance.  "Chocolate milk" could be a high accumulation of condensation in the oil from rarely running the engine to operating temperature combined with poor oil and filter change habits.  It could also be a large accumulation of water that hasn't been whipped yet.  Either scenario degrades lubrication of the rotating assembly - the second scenario being a worse case.  If the rotating assembly has been starved for adequate lubrication, you maybe hearing bearing knock.  Remove the oil drain plug just long enough to drain about a quart and check it for water before you run the engine again.

Factory torque converters are not painted, suggesting it has been replaced.

EditLook at the thread: Crankshaft.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 12:58:00 AM by bd »
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline c10dude75

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2016, 01:55:02 AM »
So add a flush and oil change to the list and see what that does huh? and here's the link again I check it and it says public maybe I was still in my account when I copied link don't know but try this again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrMHzjXZ-Rg should work this time 👌

Offline COREY13

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2016, 01:56:06 AM »
yeah i would be kinda concerned with the choco milk oil, i had something similar on my motor and it all started because the po didnt tq the intake bolts down and the gaskets didnt seal. When was the last time you changed the oil? i barely drove my truck at all when i got it (less than 5 miles) then i changed the oil after letting it sit for a few days, and i had half a quart of water come out before any oil because of the leak in the intake. I decided to pull my motor out and put a rebuild kit on it, and its probably one of my best ideas because i found my crank in pretty bad shape, and thats when i noticed the intake issue. The intake gaskets were all swollen because they werent tqd down all the way. Attached is what a photo of diluted water will do to the crank... I just pulled the crank out today and found a very spun bearing, but my truck would idle fine and rev up fine while in park but knock when it warmed up and i hit the gas. Just food for thought...
Roll Tide

Offline COREY13

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2016, 01:57:49 AM »
try and let it sit for a day or 2 or 3 before you change the oil if you can, that will give the water and oil time to seperate, and any water will come out before the oil.
Roll Tide

Offline c10dude75

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2016, 02:39:42 AM »
never changed oil since iv had it which was last summer but yeah it sits and I start it up few times a week but yeah prob should dump that crap out of there. But yeah sounds right on what's going on with my truck so we'll see what happens in the end. Soon as I get another paycheck ill get some fresh oil in there and stuff see if it makes a difference.

Offline c10dude75

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2016, 10:56:39 PM »
Alright so took another peak in some different areas under the truck and I came across the 2 piece bearing of the drive shaft I don't think that spine should be hanging out like that. Then I looked up and found this form http://www.plowsite.com/archive/index.php/t-10025.html pretty much saying that it can cause loud clunking under acceleration. I Think that might be it

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2016, 01:09:36 AM »
that will be ok. thats where the shaft will slide when you hit a bump. it should give it a couple inches in each direction
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline blazer74

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2016, 12:26:00 PM »
Have u checked your engine and trans mounts?

Offline c10dude75

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2016, 10:04:02 PM »
Yeah got around to looking at the flexplate and engine and trans mounts it's been to rainy I can only go so far under cause front sits to low the long tube headers would be no joke on my throat not much room so have to wait until its half way decent outside so I can lift the front end and check up on the stuff underneath. But yeah anything else that you guys think it might be let me know thanks👌

Offline c10dude75

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2016, 12:01:41 AM »
^ I mean haven't

Offline Greybeard

• Frequent Member
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2016, 07:51:51 PM »
Ramps....
I am what I am and I ain't no more!