Author Topic: Chevy cummins parts  (Read 3071 times)

Offline jmduryea1

Chevy cummins parts
« on: March 14, 2022, 06:42:07 PM »
Hey folks I been collecting parts to swap a ‘99 5.9 isb into my 1984 k10 (6” suspension lift and 3” body lift) and can use opinions on if I’m missing anything or better parts to get.

From what I have seen this can be done with k10 lift springs (my truck already has an old super stiff lift kit installed), I have an intercooler ready for it, got a throttle setup from a dodge and I’m hoping it will work because this engine is out of a freightliner mt45.

I have a cummins to th400 adapter, my biggest question is if people have actually used them in 4x4 applications with success because this adapter tilts the transmission a little bit.

I have various starters for the cummins depending on what adapter I settle with.

Throttle cable is taken care of but I’m not sure about TV cable yet

I need a new oil pan and pickup to fit the truck as I’ve seen when using an ISB engine.

I plan to use an oem chevy gas tank, heard mixed opinions on if the filler will take a diesel pump nozzle or not

I have summit engine mounts that bolt to factory mounts on the frame

I got a dodge steering pump/vacuum pump

KDP is fixed along with new front and rear seals

Basic cheap water fuel separator

I will get a edelbrock fuel pump until I can afford a fass

Yes this truck is on stock axles but 44’s and 14 bolts are impossible to find even traveling a few hundred miles

I am going to get a brothers truck wiring harness and re wire the whole truck

I really want a fuel pressure monitor with an alarm due to the vp44 but I have no idea what to look for when buying one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wz7u

• Old, tired - like the truck
Re: Chevy cummins parts
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2022, 10:48:38 PM »

I think TH400 uses a switch instead of a TV cable, IIRC.
'79 C20 454/th400 "Pearl"

Offline jmduryea1

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2022, 10:52:53 PM »

I think TH400 uses a switch instead of a TV cable, IIRC.
Yes sorry I’m fairly new to autos
Cable to a switch for the solenoid. I was just referring to the cable linkage at the carb and didn’t realize they were different.

Offline Mr Diesel

• Frequent Member
  • Aaron
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2022, 10:28:18 PM »
The Chevy gas tank fill necks are small diameter. A standard diesel fill nozzle is larger and will not fit, so you will need to replace your stock fill necks. If you can find a set off a 1980s chevy 6.2 diesel it will be a direct swap. Or you can remove the fill necks and cut/torch the round metal piece inside, which will allow you to fill with a diesel nozzle.

Yes, the TH400 does not use a TV cable. It has an electric kick down switch.

Your VP44 pump NEEDS to have a low fuel pressure light installed. I included a link below, but you can make your own for about half that price with a switch and light from auto parts store. My VP44 has this premade kit, but I put together the same parts for a buddies VP44. Unfortunately I dont remember the part numbers or thread size for the switch I used. Without it you WILL burn up that $1500+ VP44 pump when the fuel pressure drops from a plugged filter or failing lift pump. This light has saved me twice now.

https://www.bluechipdiesel.com/products :-\
1976 C20 Crewcab, 6.2L/SM465
1982 K30 Crewcab , 427TD/TH400
1983 C30, 6.2L/TH400
1983 K30 Crewcab 454/700R4
1986 K10 350/400. 1989 K30 cab/chassis 454/SM465

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2022, 11:21:34 PM »

I have a cummins to th400 adapter, my biggest question is if people have actually used them in 4x4 applications with success because this adapter tilts the transmission a little bit.

Is it just the engine you're replacing, the rest of the drive train original i.e. Trans, Xfer case?

1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline jmduryea1

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2022, 07:02:10 AM »

Is it just the engine you're replacing, the rest of the drive train original i.e. Trans, Xfer case?
Yes sir it’s going to be cummins to th400/np203

At one point the body has been swappped and it was originally a np208/700r4 but the turbo400/203 is what I have to work with. I have tons of room with the body lift but I’m worried about front driveshaft positioning using this oem adapter vs one of those billet adapters from summit or so on.

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2022, 11:16:54 AM »
I can’t say that I’m very familiar at all with Cummins, I thought they were mainly a Dodge product. But if GM used them as well then I’m sure you’ll find the right combo. I do know that they 700r and the TH 400, if they were used in 4 x 4 application, have the same adapter set up into a NP203. Not sure about a np208 adapting the same as a 203.

As far as the front drive shaft, my stock K10 had a double jointed, almost like a constant velocity U joint coming off of the transfer case, down to a regular U joint. So I think that the only thing you can do at this point is to figure out the geometry and see if you are in the 6° range.

Wish I could be more help.

1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline jmduryea1

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2022, 07:48:03 PM »
I will probably end up getting the summit adapter for this build and I’ll keep the cummins adapter for my c10 as it’s 2wd. The adapter comes out of a bread truck so chevy made everything work somehow I just haven’t figured how yet.

I should have mentioned this truck is running and driving with a sbc so it will just be a direct engine swap.

I’ll continue to post my findings/progress here.

Offline jmduryea1

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2022, 07:53:38 PM »
The Chevy gas tank fill necks are small diameter. A standard diesel fill nozzle is larger and will not fit, so you will need to replace your stock fill necks. If you can find a set off a 1980s chevy 6.2 diesel it will be a direct swap. Or you can remove the fill necks and cut/torch the round metal piece inside, which will allow you to fill with a diesel nozzle.

Yes, the TH400 does not use a TV cable. It has an electric kick down switch.

Your VP44 pump NEEDS to have a low fuel pressure light installed. I included a link below, but you can make your own for about half that price with a switch and light from auto parts store. My VP44 has this premade kit, but I put together the same parts for a buddies VP44. Unfortunately I dont remember the part numbers or thread size for the switch I used. Without it you WILL burn up that $1500+ VP44 pump when the fuel pressure drops from a plugged filter or failing lift pump. This light has saved me twice now.

https://www.bluechipdiesel.com/products :-\
What’s the pressure required for the injection pump? I have a stock lift pump on the engine and it goes to rubber lines so I imagine it’s pretty low pressure but I’m not sure the edelbrock pump I plan to use will suffice

To be clear I plan to use the edelbrock and the engine mounted lift pump at the same time unless it’s better off getting one single pump that can put out more pressure

Offline Mr Diesel

• Frequent Member
  • Aaron
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2022, 11:56:59 PM »
It must stay above 5 psi at the injection pump at all times. 10-15 psi is ideal.
1976 C20 Crewcab, 6.2L/SM465
1982 K30 Crewcab , 427TD/TH400
1983 C30, 6.2L/TH400
1983 K30 Crewcab 454/700R4
1986 K10 350/400. 1989 K30 cab/chassis 454/SM465

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2022, 10:34:47 AM »
let me start with welcome from maryland. lets start with the adapter, you dont need to tilt the trans if you tilt the motor. my setup (was stock before i touched it) 91v3500 crew cab with a 350/4l80e/205. It now has a 5.9/4l80e/205 utilizing the bread van adapter. i used motor mounts that used the GM mounts and locations so it moved the engine back 3" and i had to cut a tad into the firewall and cut 3" off the rear driveshaft and used a longer front driveshaft with no body lift and no suspension lift. fuel tank i removed the tank hose and used a hole saw and made the nozzle bigger, looking back i wish i made it a little bigger due to the high flow nozzles the big trucks use. my truck was tbi so it had fuel pumps in the tank and i wired them to turn on with the oil pressure switch and kept the stock pump setup in the tanks. i didnt run an intercooler as i have a older 12v. your axles are going to be toast within no time so i wouldnt even work on the driveshafts till you upgrade them.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline jmduryea1

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2022, 12:13:58 PM »
let me start with welcome from maryland. lets start with the adapter, you dont need to tilt the trans if you tilt the motor. my setup (was stock before i touched it) 91v3500 crew cab with a 350/4l80e/205. It now has a 5.9/4l80e/205 utilizing the bread van adapter. i used motor mounts that used the GM mounts and locations so it moved the engine back 3" and i had to cut a tad into the firewall and cut 3" off the rear driveshaft and used a longer front driveshaft with no body lift and no suspension lift. fuel tank i removed the tank hose and used a hole saw and made the nozzle bigger, looking back i wish i made it a little bigger due to the high flow nozzles the big trucks use. my truck was tbi so it had fuel pumps in the tank and i wired them to turn on with the oil pressure switch and kept the stock pump setup in the tanks. i didnt run an intercooler as i have a older 12v. your axles are going to be toast within no time so i wouldnt even work on the driveshafts till you upgrade them.
How did you tilt the engine?

Also what brand mounts did you use?

It looks like I have plenty of firewall room to work with and I can easily fabricate but I am trying to stay as bolt on as possible and they leaves me with very little fan to radiator clearance

Offline jmduryea1

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2022, 12:16:24 PM »
Hey folks I been collecting parts to swap a ‘99 5.9 isb into my 1984 k10 (6” suspension lift and 3” body lift) and can use opinions on if I’m missing anything or better parts to get.

From what I have seen this can be done with k10 lift springs (my truck already has an old super stiff lift kit installed), I have an intercooler ready for it, got a throttle setup from a dodge and I’m hoping it will work because this engine is out of a freightliner mt45.

I have various starters for the cummins depending on what adapter I settle with.

I need a new oil pan and pickup to fit the truck as I’ve seen when using an ISB engine.

I plan to use an oem chevy gas tank, heard mixed opinions on if the filler will take a diesel pump nozzle or not

I have summit engine mounts that bolt to factory mounts on the frame

I got a dodge steering pump/vacuum pump

KDP is fixed along with new front and rear seals

Basic cheap water fuel separator

I will get a edelbrock fuel pump until I can afford a fass

Yes this truck is on stock axles but 44’s and 14 bolts are impossible to find even traveling a few hundred miles

I am going to get a brothers truck wiring harness and re wire the whole truck

I really want a fuel pressure monitor with an alarm due to the vp44 but I have no idea what to look for when buying one

EDIT: I also have a friend who’s got a k10 with an sm465/np205 who is interested in trading transmissions.

Mostly what interests me is the granny gear and gear drive t case but I have heard people say the sm465 gearing is bad for diesels, any input is appreciated.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2022, 12:36:29 PM »
you need/want a trans with od. if not you probably max out around 50-55 mph. even with OD my top speed is 83 with 4.10 ratios. if i have to rebuild my axles im going with 3.55 like dodge did
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline jmduryea1

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2022, 01:01:48 PM »
you need/want a trans with od. if not you probably max out around 50-55 mph. even with OD my top speed is 83 with 4.10 ratios. if i have to rebuild my axles im going with 3.55 like dodge did
I only need 65 mph max, I’m rural and will mainly be pulling around livestock on county roads until I have 1 ton axles.  I assume my axles are stock ratio which was probably 3.73.

Another note my engine is pretty turned down as far as tuned, rated for like 185 hp and 420ftlbs I think which is why I’m not too worried about these axles for road use.

At some point I will look at 4l80e swaps but I’m keeping things simple and low budget and deal with whatever result I get.