Author Topic: 350 Build Power Estimate  (Read 2361 times)

Offline slideways

350 Build Power Estimate
« on: September 04, 2019, 06:43:07 PM »
So I’m restoring my father in laws 83 K10 frame up and originally it had a 305 at some point swapped with a backyard build 350 that he is clueless about but supposedly it’s got very low time on it and the 700r4 has paperwork to back it’s rebuikd also. I gingerly drove it home so I couldn’t get a feel for it before I tore it down but it does run and idle very nicely and has over 50psi oil pressure. All I can tell is that it has a QJet and 8920 heads which I’m reading are nothing special but I guess not horrible. I’m going to guess it has stock pistons which supposedly puts it around 8:5-1 My plan is to stick a 262 or 268 torque making can in that hopefully has a lope idle. I’m not sure which one yet. Also ditched the cast manifolds for long tubes and will be adding a cheap manifold like the Performer or Jegs Chanpion.
Any suggestions welcome. But what type of numbers should I expect from that type of setup? I’d like vortex’s but not yet. Need to build the rest of the truck first.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: 350 Build Power Estimate
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 08:36:48 PM »
First, read through Camshaft/ intake/ HEI upgrade questions!

Second, enter the engine parameters along with your specific requirements into the CamQuest engine simulator on the Comp Cams website for camshaft recommendations and application notes, based on Comp Cams' offerings.  The simulations produced are surprisingly close to reality.

Last, peruse the torque/horsepower curves generated to determine the most suitable cam profile(s) for your rig.  Be patient and realistic.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
Re: 350 Build Power Estimate
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 09:31:46 PM »
Welcome to the site.
1974 Cheyenne 10 LWB STOCK 350 W HEI /TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice