Author Topic: Can't Get Engine to Turn Over  (Read 14675 times)

Online bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Can't Get Engine to Turn Over
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2013, 04:37:35 PM »
I read the thread about bypassing the Neutral safety switch and now I cant express how dumb I really am and about the fusible links.. Im just gonna read and not post anythin in the future because I am a liability....
Don't think like that. Everybody's input is always welcomed.
Just got to remember that we don't always know the competence of other posters or the complete circumstances of the issue they are having. Also others from web searches might be reading the threads so sometimes we just need to word our posts as if everyone was non mechanically inclined. Don't take any offense to being corrected when advise is incorrect. I guarantee you no insult was intended.

I see that you are new here. Welcome to the board.

X2

Rob, everyone on here has their own unique experience and approach to repairs.  I can assure you, everyone of us has felt 'silly' after a post at one time or another.  So, don't be bashful about joining in and sharing your views and experience.  We learn from one another.   :)
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2013, 07:10:38 PM »
I read the thread about bypassing the Neutral safety switch and now I cant express how dumb I really am and about the fusible links.. Im just gonna read and not post anythin in the future because I am a liability....
Don't think like that. Everybody's input is always welcomed.
Just got to remember that we don't always know the competence of other posters or the complete circumstances of the issue they are having. Also others from web searches might be reading the threads so sometimes we just need to word our posts as if everyone was non mechanically inclined. Don't take any offense to being corrected when advise is incorrect. I guarantee you no insult was intended.

I see that you are new here. Welcome to the board.

X3:  as mentioned do not take it personally, also as mentioned we like to think as everyone as family here, so we are here to teach each other.
     If you could not learn anymore, and new everything, what would be the fun of being on here ?
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 01:31:47 PM »
Ditto on the above.  We all make mistakes, we all learn from them.  Everyone is welcomed here.

Offline Les_Paul

• Desiring knowledge
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2013, 12:40:24 PM »
Thanks for all the input fellas. I had the same thing happen to me again (twice in the same day!) and discovered I had a faulty battery. All it took was a jump, and I was up and running. So I took a quick trip to the store and replaced the battery and haven't had a single issue since.
73 C30 2WD, Single Cab, Long Bed, 350 V8, 4 Speed Muncie Manual Transmission

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2013, 01:26:46 PM »
Glad you got it resolved.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Les_Paul

• Desiring knowledge
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2013, 11:19:11 AM »
Well I jinxed myself lol. Literally the next time I drove after writing that post the engine would turn over. Fortunately someone was close by with jumper cables, and she started like a dream. So I took it to O'Reilly's this morning to have the alternator checked (maybe the alternator wasn't recharging the battery), but it came back perfect. My next guess is it has something to do with the starter? It's just odd that it's so intermittent...

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2013, 07:36:17 PM »
My next guess is it has something to do with the starter? It's just odd that it's so intermittent...

You might be onto something.  Have you crawled  under your truck to check the cable from the battery to the starter to see if it's tight ?  I would disconnect the cable at the battery before messing around down there in case it is loose it does not spark and short something out or blow your fuse able links.
    Also check to make sure the cable is still tight in the " eye " crimp fitting that is attached to the pole of the starter, and that the pole that the cable attaches to is not loose on the starter itself.
     1 more thought, you have checked to make sure your positive and negative cables at the battery are tight and secure inside the clamps for the battery post ?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 07:38:42 PM by bake74 »
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline 454Man

• Why Race?
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2013, 08:38:37 PM »
I now have the same issue. Last night while adjusting the valves I left my jumper wire on the starter loose and it was grounded, so when I turned the ignition switch pop and nothing but when I jump it to the batt it turned over. Then it would start with no problem. I know its the fuse links at this point, because I tested for continuity while it wouldn't stay and after. Weird... Yes! try jumping the starter post next time it won't start, then after it turns over remove your jumper abs turn the key. See it that helps:-)

Offline 1HI4x4

• Registered Users
  • V30 Crew now a shortbed.....
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 05:31:23 AM »
I'll bet someone lunch that if you replace the battery cables from the battery to the starter, and from the battery to the ground, you will solve this problem.
1988 V30 Crew Cab, Cummins power, 47RH-NP205, 8" lift, 13.50x35x20 Fuel Mudders on 20x14 XD Diesels -76 offset. Soon to be repainted, seats from a 2010 Lariat to be installed.

Offline Les_Paul

• Desiring knowledge
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2013, 08:45:02 AM »
I'll start checking these things out...now it's just a matter of getting myself underneath the beast ;)

Offline Les_Paul

• Desiring knowledge
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2013, 08:04:11 PM »
My next guess is it has something to do with the starter? It's just odd that it's so intermittent...

You might be onto something.  Have you crawled  under your truck to check the cable from the battery to the starter to see if it's tight ?  I would disconnect the cable at the battery before messing around down there in case it is loose it does not spark and short something out or blow your fuse able links.
    Also check to make sure the cable is still tight in the " eye " crimp fitting that is attached to the pole of the starter, and that the pole that the cable attaches to is not loose on the starter itself.
     1 more thought, you have checked to make sure your positive and negative cables at the battery are tight and secure inside the clamps for the battery post ?

I had a chance to get underneath it today and wouldn't you know it, the cable was not tight on the starter. I tightened up the nut about as tight as I could without trying to break it off. Maybe that was my only problem...I suppose time will tell. (And I disconnected the battery before messing around with it :) )

I'll bet someone lunch that if you replace the battery cables from the battery to the starter, and from the battery to the ground, you will solve this problem.

You are probably correct on this one, but I'd prefer not having to mess with that or spend the $20 bucks on it if I can help it!

Offline Les_Paul

• Desiring knowledge
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2013, 08:48:12 PM »
Ok...had it happen to me twice more today. I have power everywhere but can't get the starter to even crank. As soon as I hook up jumper cables it fires right up...Surely it's not the wires though since jumping wouln't make the connections any better, right?

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2013, 09:16:47 PM »
Ok...had it happen to me twice more today. I have power everywhere but can't get the starter to even crank. As soon as I hook up jumper cables it fires right up...Surely it's not the wires though since jumping wouln't make the connections any better, right?

When it won't start, do you get out and try to turn the cables on top of the battery or move the cable around and try to restart ? 
      I do not believe it is the cables, but it could be.  By doing what I said, and if you can get it started, I then would replace cables and battery post clamps.
      I have seen the cable to clamps get a short in them before, you play with them and the vehicle will start.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 09:18:23 PM by bake74 »
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline 1HI4x4

• Registered Users
  • V30 Crew now a shortbed.....
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2013, 04:30:23 AM »
.Surely it's not the wires though since jumping wouln't make the connections any better, right?

If the cables are corroded(green) internally then they are not going to efficiently carry the amperage required to engage the starter, when you hook up the second battery through jumper cables all you are doing is increasing the amperage and that extra amperage is enough to push through the corrosion.
1988 V30 Crew Cab, Cummins power, 47RH-NP205, 8" lift, 13.50x35x20 Fuel Mudders on 20x14 XD Diesels -76 offset. Soon to be repainted, seats from a 2010 Lariat to be installed.

Offline Les_Paul

• Desiring knowledge
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2013, 02:36:39 PM »

If the cables are corroded(green) internally then they are not going to efficiently carry the amperage required to engage the starter, when you hook up the second battery through jumper cables all you are doing is increasing the amperage and that extra amperage is enough to push through the corrosion.

I recently had to put a new ring on the end of the negative cable because my old one was cracked. When I spliced the wire, the internal copper strands looked ok, but I'm not an expert so maybe a little bit of green is doing more damage than I thought..