Author Topic: I Need Some Help  (Read 2347 times)

Offline theaddictedchef

I Need Some Help
« on: February 24, 2013, 02:41:03 PM »
I have spent the entire weekend working on this cigarette lighter.  I thought I had it fixed and......it isn't. 

I am putting some pictures up so you can see where I'm at.  The photo with the arrow is a clipped orange wire.  Not sure what that goes to or how to figure it out.  I have a multimeter and a 12v test light.  I am looking to fix this a) it needs to be fixed and b) my phone needs to be charged when I am gone for the day. 

Fuse box, orange wire going to the lighter, orange wire disappears into the harness.  Not sure how to trace that.  If I isolate the power supply, which fuse does it go to?  I looked at the wiring diagram but I can't see where the lighter goes into.  Am I seriously this dumb?

Second question.  The last photo is the outside vent (?) on the passenger side.  The "L" tabs look like electrical connections.  Is this right?  Is there supposed to be a pull cord (?) attached to this that goes to one of the vacuum lines from the temp control unit?  Not sure about this one and can't seem to find a schematic for this. 

As always, thanks!
The Journey IS the Reward......

Online bd

• Global Moderator
Re: I Need Some Help
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 05:02:04 PM »
...The photo with the arrow is a clipped orange wire.  Not sure what that goes to or how to figure it out.  I have a multimeter and a 12v test light.  ...orange wire going to the lighter... disappears into the harness.  ...which fuse does it go to?...

Cigar lighter power is Ckt 140 (Org).  Ckt 140 sources power from the 20-amp "BAT" fuse at the top of the fuse box (rear view), (front view), directly below the "cut" orange wire in your topmost image.  It would seem the 'cut' orange wire in your image is the wire you're searching for. 

To verify:
With the ignition OFF, connect your test light to a good ground and probe the unused "FUSED" fuse box terminals at the top of the fuse box to determine if either terminal is hot.  If either terminal is hot, jump to the next paragraph....  If neither terminal is hot, check the "BAT" fuse, replace as needed, and continue (or, if the fuse is good, but you still have no power - stop and update your post). 

Using your test light, probe the 'cut' orange wire above the fuse box.  If it's dead, use your ohmmeter to check continuity on that orange wire between the cigar lighter and the 'cut' end of the orange wire.  After you confirm continuity through the orange wire, temporarily touch the orange wire to the "FUSED" fuse box terminal that you previously verified is hot.  Now, check for power at the cigar lighter using your test light.  If you've established power to the cigar lighter, install a female spade connector on the 'cut' orange wire and plug it into the hot "FUSED" fuse box terminal. 

If you do not measure continuity on the orange wire, stop and update your post.

...The last photo is the outside vent (?) on the passenger side.  The "L" tabs look like electrical connections.  Is this right?  Is there supposed to be a pull cord (?) attached to this that goes to one of the vacuum lines from the temp control unit?

There are no electrical connections to the vent door.  The door is operated strictly by vacuum.  There should be a single vacuum hose that connects to the vacuum motor.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline theaddictedchef

Re: I Need Some Help
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 05:35:54 PM »
Thank you.   Gonna check and verify.   

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

The Journey IS the Reward......