Author Topic: Using Jeep steering shaft to replace rag joint  (Read 8735 times)

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
  • 1975 GMC K25 Camper Special, 350/TH350/NP203
Using Jeep steering shaft to replace rag joint
« on: October 26, 2017, 11:46:33 AM »
I'v read several articles about using a Jeep Cherokee steering shaft to replace the shaft and rag joint in a square body.   However, then I ran across one post that said the replacement won't work with a '79 and earlier GM truck because the steering shaft is different (splined?). 

Anybody have any details on this shaft swap, and whether it will work for my '75?

Thanks,

Bruce

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Using Jeep steering shaft to replace rag joint
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 12:04:54 PM »
It will not interchange but a replacement rag joint is fine.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline blazer74

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 07:37:14 PM »
Not a direct bolt on mod.

Either way it will not fit at the column end on a 75.

Really not necessary.

Offline jetman

• Squarebody Referance Library
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 08:11:42 PM »
May not fit on yours.  But I put one on my '83.  Best bang for the buck of any mod/upgrade that I have done!
Almost feels like rack 'n pinion compared to that vague feeling found w/ GM rag joint equipped vehicles..

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 07:40:57 AM »
Rock Auto sells the replacement rag joint, so I will try that for now.  My truck tracks fairly well already, but I can move the wheel back and forth a couple inches each way before I get any movement of the front wheels.  It reminds me of one of those old black and white TV shows, where they show a guy driving down the road, and he is moving the wheel from side to side almost continually to make small adjustments.

My plan is to also replace ball joints and tie rod ends, and then adjust the free play in the steering box while I have it all apart.  I think most of my front end is original parts from '75, so it should improve things quite a bit. 

I'd also like to also replace all the leaf spring bushings, but getting the old rubber bushings out of four leaf springs will not be a fun job. I've looked at videos of guys drilling them out, burning them out (not good), and trying to press them out.  None of the solutions seem to work well.

Thanks,

Bruce

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 09:14:30 AM »
With the truck on the ground, have an assistant rock the wheel back and forth while you observe where the play is. It sounds like you have more than one issue if there is that much play. Make sure the steering gear box is not moving on the frame. Check the front crossmember to make sure it is not floating between the two halves of the frame.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline blazer74

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 08:32:49 PM »
In addition check the upper end of the steering shaft where it connects to the column. There is a contraption there that has a sliding mechanism inside that can wear out also.

A tight  gearbox with minimal wear and as said loose to the frame. The frames tend to crack at that area especially on 4x4 trucks.
Otherwise stock steering is fine for normal driving.

It has its own design problems by design but that beyond the steering shaft issue.

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 11:34:05 AM »
Thanks for the input.  I plan to check the steering box mounting, and also make adjustments when I have everything disconnected.   

This was a farm truck for many years, so it is very possible that my ball joints and tie rod ends are original (42 years old!).  I'm sure that replacing them will help quite a bit.

Bruce

Offline jetman

• Squarebody Referance Library
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 09:08:59 AM »
There are 2 adjustments to make on the steering box (thrust pre-load and pitman shaft over-center) , details at: http://www.bacliffrv.com/Truck/Steering.pdf .