Author Topic: Tow mirror swap  (Read 9219 times)

Offline derrik.kasinger

Tow mirror swap
« on: November 10, 2017, 04:59:56 AM »
I have a 85 k10 with stock Chevy mirrors. Wanting to do a tow mirror swap. I would love any help on how to do and what the best Mirrors are. I'm not trying to do a junky swap. I want clean and good looking.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

Offline derrik.kasinger

New and need a little info
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 07:35:03 PM »
Hi I'm new and  I have a 1985 Chevy k10 4x4 built sbc350. Everything but motor trans and transfer are stock. Im looking at trying to swap my door mirrors to newer door tow mirrors

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
Re: Tow mirror swap
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 08:28:10 PM »
Post a picture of what you have now and we can go from there
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline derrik.kasinger

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 07:14:17 AM »
I can get a closer picture of the truck if needed. But these are the type of mirror I want

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 08:06:57 AM »
There is someone on this forum who did this swap.  He eliminated the vent window and mounted it on a fabricated hunk of metal in its place.  To me that would create a blind spot.  There are other GM stock options if you are open to them.  My white truck has the camper mirrors and the red truck factory west coast mirrors
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline derrik.kasinger

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 08:08:28 AM »
There is someone on this forum who did this swap.  He eliminated the vent window and mounted it on a fabricated hunk of metal in its place.  To me that would create a blind spot.  There are other GM stock options if you are open to them.  My white truck has the camper mirrors and the red truck factory west coast mirrors
I want something like the newer Chevy tow mirrors I don't want to lose my vent widow. That would create a huge blind spot

Offline Henry

• Frequent Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 10:53:20 AM »
Hi Derrik:
For towing, I think the factory 'west coast' mirrors are the best design. There are a lot of aftermarket west coast mirrors out there, but they do not have as good a design bracing as does the factory mirrors you see on the photo of the red truck that zieg85 sent you. I have west coast mirrors on my 76 C-20 I bought from JC Whitney and they look great and work great statically, but shake and change orientation when the truck is moving. The factory design has a triangular top and bottom brace and a small lower brace under the vent window which seems to work best. The problem is finding these oem mirrors....I have located them only in medium-duty truck junkyards. For more pics of these mirrors, see my post 'C-20 Custom Deluxe External Mirrors'.
Regards,
Henry

Offline derrik.kasinger

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 10:55:20 AM »
Hi Derrik:
For towing, I think the factory 'west coast' mirrors are the best design. There are a lot of aftermarket west coast mirrors out there, but they do not have as good a design bracing as does the factory mirrors you see on the photo of the red truck that zieg85 sent you. I have west coast mirrors on my 76 C-20 I bought from JC Whitney and they look great and work great statically, but shake and change orientation when the truck is moving. The factory design has a triangular top and bottom brace and a small lower brace under the vent window which seems to work best. The problem is finding these oem mirrors....I have located them only in medium-duty truck junkyards. For more pics of these mirrors, see my post 'C-20 Custom Deluxe External Mirrors'.
Regards,
Henry
I want to be able to use the factory mounting bracket

Offline Henry

• Frequent Member
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 11:13:58 AM »
Hi Derrik:
I dont think it is possible to add a true"towing mirror" to the oem standard mirror mounting location. A towing mirror needs to be a tall mirror located further away from the cab from your standard mirror. This would put too much load on your current mounting location and it would vibrate too much and eventually tear out the door metal under the vent window. There is actually very little structural support under the vent window....that is why the factory design has the braces that go to the top of the door and the mid-line of the door, both where the metal is stiffer. If you must use your existing mounting location, you would have to take the door panel off, remove the window and add some stiffening to the sheet metal inside the door...a real job just to get a clean look without bracing!
Regards,
Henry

Offline Jason S

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 09:32:26 PM »
This thread shows a 'conversion' using the stainless camper towing mirror heads swapped onto the 'Dumbo' mirror supports:

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=32036.msg269877#msg269877

1973 GMC K2500, Super Custom, Camper Special, 350, TH350, NP203, 4.10's
1974 Chevrolet K10, Custom Deluxe, 350, SM465, NP203, 3.73's

"1) Peace through strength; 2) Trust but verify; 3) Beware of evil in the modern world"