Author Topic: Adding power steering  (Read 2629 times)

Offline tomkatt2935

Adding power steering
« on: December 18, 2017, 04:14:31 AM »
Hello group, I've got a 78 GMC 1/2 ton SWB with a 350 that doesn't have the power steering option. I've got another square body parts truck that has power steering. My lower pulley on the engine has a place for the other belt and the head has the hole to add the power steering bracket for the pump. Will the power steering gear box mount w/o any major modifications? What other affordable options would work if this won't work. Any insight is appreciated.

Offline jetman

• Squarebody Referance Library
Re: Adding power steering
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 08:14:00 AM »
Go for it, very straight forward job.  May want to consider adding a Jeep XJ steering shaft while you have the steer box out.  Shaft really tightens things up.

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
  • 1975 GMC K25 Camper Special, 350/TH350/NP203
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 06:36:28 PM »
What year is the donor truck for the PS box?  The CJ shaft swap is a good idea, but I don't think it will work with a donor truck made earlier than '77.

Bruce

Offline tomkatt2935

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 01:29:02 AM »
The donor truck is actually newer than the 78, it's an early 80's model.

Offline jetman

• Squarebody Referance Library
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 08:31:52 AM »
From what I remember, the XJ trick will not work on pre-77 GM trucks.  What you want is a splined connection at the steering box, and a through-bolted, flat-sided shaft sticking out of the firewall of your GM truck.
The Jeep shaft should come from a XJ Cherokee, not Grand Cherokee, year model 88-96.

Pro Tip #235 - There is a white nylon friction bushing in the Jeep shaft assembly.  Some folks advocate heating up shaft w/ torch, melting this bushing out, to make the install easier.  You actually want this bushing in your final Squarebody install. If you goto my Reference Library you will see me stretching out the shaft using a ratchet strap (do not hammer it w/ steel hammer, you will damage u-joint).  After stretching it out into two pieces, use some sand paper or grinder to GENTLY sand down the nylon bushing a little to make installation easier.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 08:43:31 AM by jetman »

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 06:22:47 PM »
You haven't provided enough information to even give you accurate information here. At minimum you need to identify what your truck is and what the donor is.  Are they 2wd, 4wd, 10,20,30 what years etc
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10