Author Topic: Front wheel inside seal question  (Read 1934 times)

Offline rdfmartin

Front wheel inside seal question
« on: May 05, 2018, 04:15:15 PM »
I am replacing the rotors on a stock '86 Chevy K10, currently I am reassembling the rotor inside bearing and seal. Got the first seal an 8th of an inch past flush, got the second seal just right. Will having the seal a bit too deep be a problem? It is in evenly, just too deep. Guess the problem could be how it fits on the shaft.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Front wheel inside seal question
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 05:25:31 PM »
refresh my memory but doesnt the seal have a shoulder that prevents it from going too far in?
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 08:06:09 PM »
No. As the old saying goes, do it right the first time. Buy another seal or carefully remove it and reinstall it so it is in correctly.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline carlnelson

• 20 year Alaskan
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 05:44:59 PM »
ok Vile....  :)

I just did this this weekend too... and I was using a race installation set to put in new races... so I used the biggest one and thought it was bigger than the outside of the hub... so when driving it in it went too far in by at least a 1/4".... I looked at it and said.. what can it hurt?

ok, what will it hurt? Will it be destroyed by the inner bearings?

I'm planning a full removal and replacement of my front axel (Corp 10) to replace the inners (prob broken ring or pinion) So it will be all apart then but was just curious why does it have to be flush?

Thanks!

Carl
Carl

Offline Captain Swampy

• Wisconsin
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 09:59:42 PM »
The races for the bearings get driven in until they stop. If you don't get them seated to the bottom, the bearings will push them in when you drive it. You need to check and see if they have loosened up. Or are you talking about the wheel seal?
1987  350TBI 700R4  4X4  4.56 gears  33" BFG All Terrain

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=32209.0

Offline carlnelson

• 20 year Alaskan
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 12:06:45 PM »
The races for the bearings get driven in until they stop. If you don't get them seated to the bottom, the bearings will push them in when you drive it. You need to check and see if they have loosened up. Or are you talking about the wheel seal?

I'm talking about the Inner Wheel Seal, Vile and others have always been precise about driving them in until flush or maybe slightly below the inner hub, but I got it in a bit more than that, like almost a quarter inch in... I checked and it was not close to the inner bearing so I shugged and put it on as opposed to pulling it out and taking a chance on damaging it as I had no way to get another.... with my truck torn apart...

So just curious about the tolerances...
Carl