Author Topic: A/C system re-work. What parts to get?  (Read 1952 times)

Offline ken4444

A/C system re-work. What parts to get?
« on: July 20, 2018, 03:20:22 PM »
I need to know what parts I should probably order when I overhaul my 134a A/C system.  I found metal bits in the orifice tube so I know I have to open the system to flush out all of the refrigerant lines.  The system never had a fast leak, so I think the loss of 134a was at the compressor that presumably failed.  So I plan to replace the compressor and I need to know what else I should order.  Off the top of my head:

compressor
orifice tube
dryer
flush tool and cleaning solvent
compressor oil
134a
seals?  which ones?

This engine is a 454 from a 1988 Suburban, and I suspect the whole AC system is too.  The compressor is the shorter, more compact style that uses a serpentine belt.  I have a vacuum pump and manifold gauges.

Thanks!

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: A/C system re-work. What parts to get?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 11:10:24 PM »
i want to wait to vile or one of them chimes in BUT if it was me i wouldnt worry about the dryer (accumulator) since the orifice tube caught most the the shavings. unless the system has been opened for some time. but thats me and again i would wait till BD or vile chimes in, im sure someone else who knows more about theses systems would better inform you also. the seals afaik should be part of the compressor (in the box) and should only be to the lines going in and out of the compressor. but if the system leaked down without knowing what seal went up it might be a good idea to replace them all
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: A/C system re-work. What parts to get?
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 06:17:46 AM »
So where was the leak? Did you identify it or are you assuming?

*Just some terminology -Technically your truck has an accumulator not a receiver drier. The accumulator has a descant bag that acts as a drying agent and will need to be replaced.

Orifice tube and o-ring kits are readily available, find out what oil your replacement compressor comes prefilled with and use a compatible oil with UV dye so that if a leak develops you will easily be able to identify it.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10