Author Topic: newer gauge cluster in 74?  (Read 1583 times)

Offline rumblebox

newer gauge cluster in 74?
« on: September 11, 2018, 01:26:12 PM »
i googled the shoot out of this and got nothing. will a newer "voltage" gauge cluster go into place without extensive wiring mods?
74 K20, 468, Sniper EFI, SM465
90 Suburban, beater
66 GTO
07 Denali
11 335d

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
  • 1975 GMC K25 Camper Special, 350/TH350/NP203
Re: newer gauge cluster in 74?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 04:14:30 PM »
I have a '75, and I've swapped in a '74 tach cluster - no issues.   However, all the new trucks have electric oil pressure gauges, and yours is mechanical.

I found an article online about converting to a voltmeter., and it was not difficult.  I bought a new voltmeter online and installed it in place of the ammeter.    This is the article:  http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com/techinfo/Electrical/73C10AmmeterToVoltGaugeSwapR1-0.pdf

You have to do some minor rewiring on the cluster, but since all you need is ground and power, its easy to wire up the voltmeter.   You also have to remove two fuses under the hood, since this is where the ammeter was connected to the wiring harness for measuring current flow.

Bruce

Offline roundhouse

newer gauge cluster in 74?
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 04:45:55 AM »
Mostly some wiring

You need to modify the wiring as mentioned to convert from the amps to volts

And depending on which year cluster you are putting in you may need to move some of the wires around in the plug that connects to the cluster

With the exception of the amps/volts gauge , It’s all the same wires just in different locations in the plug depending on the year

Your existing oil pressure gauge should be mechanical with a tiny tube going from the engine to the gauge

Don’t lose the nut that holds this onto the back of the gauge
  Far as I know , you can’t buy them anywhere , it’s a weird thread pattern

What’s the reason for wanting to swap ?

If it’s just for looks I think you can restore most gauges pretty easy with overlay stickers and painting the needles or find some comparable used gauges that just have faded needles which are easy to repaint

I swapped mine because the original 76 cluster had cooked in the Arizona desert sun for 40 years and I got a nice 82 cluster for free

But it was a lot of effort figuring out the wire swaps in the plug

« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 04:54:47 AM by roundhouse »