Author Topic: Starting issues  (Read 2642 times)

Offline Jerr-conn

• Registered Users
  • Retired tool maker
Starting issues
« on: September 29, 2018, 02:49:26 PM »
Today I drove my 87 350/700r4 swb to a car show. When I went to leave, it would not start
Or turn over. Battery is 1 1/2 yrs old. Had it checked and it is good. Anyway, had it jumped
And it started right up. Drove all way home, no problem. Shut it off, let it set 5 minutes. No
Start.  Even dome light would not light.crazy. Never had this prob before. I wonder if there
Could be a prob with neutral safety switch. Or something else? Any ideas? I hate wiring probs.
Thanks for any and all help.
Jerry

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Starting issues
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 02:59:27 PM »
How old are the battery cables and are they secure at both ends?
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 03:01:29 PM »
i just chased down a starting issue on my 02. think it turned out to be a loose connection on the battery. i would start there then go to the starter connection. since you have no dome light that would rule out any switch and since it started with a jump i would think a loose or poor connection at the battery
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Jerr-conn

• Registered Users
  • Retired tool maker
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 05:52:35 PM »
Don't know about batt cable age.only owned truck almost 2 yrs. cables at batt are tight and
Meg ground is tight on block.don't know about pos cable to starter yet . Will ck tomorrow or mon
Thanks for advice so far. Question: is the neutral safety switch on col under dash?
Jerry

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 06:55:14 PM »
its not going to be the NSS due to you not having a dome light. ive also seen dual terminal batteries (top and side post) lose connection to one side (side post) but still have it to the top
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 07:15:36 PM »
It might be a good time to disconnect and clean the cable connections to the battery and make sure that acid hasn't corroded the cable under its insulation.
Rich
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 08:14:56 PM »
While you're at it, check the tightness of your fan belt. If it's loose you're not getting full voltage to charge the battery. Bad connection/loose belt=mrtruckisnothappy
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline Jerr-conn

• Registered Users
  • Retired tool maker
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2018, 07:21:56 PM »
Well, did all mentioned above plus cables are like new, all tight. Still nothing. Even tried another batt.
Nothing. Dead as heck. If I take batt cable off and reinstall, the interior light comes on . Soon as I
Turn ignition key, it goes out. That's the only light that lights up, little as it does. Any other ideas
Or I will probably take it to a shop. Really don't want to do that, but.   Thanks guys.
Jerry

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2018, 09:24:00 PM »
Give all of the fusible links at the starter and firewall junction block a stout tug to see if any stretch or separate.  Inspect the fusible link terminal ends and splices for visible evidence of heat damage such as blistering, melting or discoloration.
Rich

Offline Jerr-conn

• Registered Users
  • Retired tool maker
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 08:04:44 AM »
Rich, never thought about fusible links. Not real familiar with trucks. Did not know there was one at starter also. Found the one on the firewall,But the one at starter must connect to solenoid. Is that right?  Are they both the same and Replaced the same way? I'll have to jack up truck to ck starter link. Probably have to drop starter if that's the bad one.Will let you know. after thinking about this,
I don't remember cars having a starter fusible link. Do I really need this one?  I ck' the upper link and It looks good. Will ck starter link later.    Jerry
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 04:34:26 PM by Jerr-conn »
Jerry

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2018, 08:11:49 PM »
Jerry, there should be two fuse links at the starter connecting to the B+ solenoid stud along with the battery cable.  The locations, lengths and gauges of the links are crucial to protect the main bus routing.  DO NOT eliminate them!  They serve as primary circuit protection for the entire electrical system and prevent catastrophic electrical fires.  Fusible links are consistently 6" in length but vary in gauge according to the wires they protect.  There is an industry standard formula to determine proper gauging that is expressed in the thread How to make a Fusible Link.  If there are any questions, I'll be happy to answer them. 

You shouldn't need to drop the starter, but disconnecting the battery ground cable before using any tools to access the solenoid is a smart move.  Many automobiles also use fusible links in various locations around the vehicle depending on brand, model and year.  Links are used instead of fuses because of their suitability to location, low cost, durability and tolerance to current surges that would otherwise melt conventional fuses.
Rich

Offline Jerr-conn

• Registered Users
  • Retired tool maker
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2018, 09:47:48 AM »
UPDATE---ck'd fusible link at firewall. Ck'd good. Wanted to check starter fuses, but
I'm 80 years old and did not feel like Crawling under truck, so I had it hauled to this
garage that I trust a lot. They called next day and found problem. It was a pinched 
fusible link at the starter. Evidently, before I got the truck, someone replaced the 
starter, and didn't ck wiring when installing new starter. Garage replaced bad link and 
re-routed wiring to eliminate  any further problems. $95 later, it was money well spent.
Thanks to B D and all,  for your help and ideas.   Jerry
Jerry

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2018, 09:59:58 AM »
Glad to hear that you got it resolved!   :)
Rich