Author Topic: Front End Rebuild  (Read 2211 times)

Offline teamcurtis

• dangerous mechanic
Front End Rebuild
« on: November 06, 2018, 12:27:50 PM »
78 c10 350 stock

Snapped a lug stud on the front drivers side, and realized that the whole hub and disc is one assembly (and cheapish). The brake pads were cracked and the calipers/hoses were original, the bushings (all of them) are cracked and total junk. Rather than press out the stud and replace it I just decided to replace/rebuild all the major issues.
I'm just looking for a stock/slightly better than stock ride quality while lowering the front end a bit to reduce fender gap.

I have ordered Napa Premium hub/discs, ACDelco UCAs, drop shocks, beltech 2"drop coils, sway bar bushings, calipers, hoses, and pads.
I found affordable LCAs at 150 per side. Are they worth it or should I just replace the bushings and ball joints here?
Is there anything else I should be replacing while I'm down there?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 12:42:11 PM by bd »
1978 C10 Short Bed
350 smogged for CA

Offline fman

Re: Front End Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 09:32:51 AM »
I just finished replacing all that stuff. If you chose to rebuild instead of replacing, get the RIGHT TOOL. The KENT- MOORE  control arm c-clamp.

Offline teamcurtis

• dangerous mechanic
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 12:18:15 PM »
I figured I would either do a tool borrow from a parts store or walk them over to my local mechanic if it isn't going smoothly.

Any tips you can offer? Did you do the Tierod ends too?
1978 C10 Short Bed
350 smogged for CA

Offline fman

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 03:24:33 PM »
I did do tie rods. The auto parts stores here in So. Cal. don't have a c- clamp tool big enough for the LOWER control arm.  Most shops wanted $25-30 per bushing. I would have used the   arms for $149, but I wanted POLY bushings, and already bought Moog ball joints. Its not a hard job with the Kent-Moore tool, but it does take some work. The New LCA's just bolt them in and done. Just my 2cents.

Offline teamcurtis

• dangerous mechanic
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 11:36:31 AM »
Think I can reuse these bushings?
How about the caliper? Seems fine right?
1978 C10 Short Bed
350 smogged for CA

Offline teamcurtis

• dangerous mechanic
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 09:48:09 AM »
The bracket for the front sway bar is pretty bent on one side. Im going to drill it out and replace it.
Question is should I get the "drop bracket" or stock? I am only lowering the truck 2" right now (coils) and the drop bracket says its a must for trucks dropped 3 or more.
1978 C10 Short Bed
350 smogged for CA