Author Topic: I need help with my brothers 01 chevy blazer.  (Read 1832 times)

Offline audrima

• Frequent Member
I need help with my brothers 01 chevy blazer.
« on: November 11, 2018, 05:50:10 PM »
Hello,

My brother Just bought a 2001 Chevy Blazer V6 Vortec auto 4x4. It's a very nice truck for the price he paid for, The problem i it has a problem running. When he Got it it ran strong but was missing on Cyl 5. So he did the fallowing to fix it, Seafoam in the tank, took the cat off (open headers until the seafoam is ran throu), New plugs, wires, Disto cap, rotor, New Distributor and a new coil.

Now when I got there it had no power, it back fired and then some!  like very loud Booms in between reg sounding backfires.  I had his flip the the distro 180 (cause the rotor only goes on one way) that made it hard to turn over and backfire once. then we moved it slightly from cyl 3 to point to cyl 1 and it now turns over smoothly but does not start. no noise just turns over.

Now my thinking, is to pull the tire off pull the #1 spark plug and bring it to tdc and mark the thing,  Reset the the distro again then, put a timing light on it w the fuel pump fuse pulled. the problem with this it's sitting in a nice neighborhood on the street, they frown on this type of thing. lol but I just want to make sure I'm thinking of going in the right direction. I only have 2 hours tomorrow to mess with it and he needs to tomorrow night for work.

What do you all think?

thanks
AUD

Offline Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
Re: I need help with my brothers 01 chevy blazer.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 08:56:34 PM »
Yep...Sounds like distributor is out of time. Setting #1 cylinder to TDC on compression stroke, reset distributor would be the next thing to do.
1974 Cheyenne 10 LWB STOCK 350 W HEI /TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Offline audrima

• Frequent Member
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 04:41:52 PM »
Got the timing fixed. needed the compression tester to do it. (where cyl #1 is is a pain to do the screw driver method)  now with all that replace and in time, he's back to having a misfire on cyl #5 -_-*  but it runs better and smoother and idles better. so don't know what else to do lol

Aud

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 05:14:46 PM »
Not trying to sound like a jerk, but if you had paid someone to fix it you probably would have spent half the money and a small fraction of your time. If you don't have the tools and diagnostic background it doesn't make sense to go in and throw parts only to cause more issues. You need to set the distributor using the scan tool and then relearn cam/crank sync. Often aftermarket distributors require you to replace the affixed hold down clamp because they are not properly indexed and do not allow for any adjustment. Use the old hold down clamp with the new distributor and get your hands on a capable scan tool. Once you have it properly set and synced you will have to see if it still has misfires.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 05:25:12 PM »
Have you looked for a vacuum leak? Spray some carb cleaner around the intake manifold and see if it smooths out.

Glad you got it running, and just in time!
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction