Author Topic: Fuel line twisting on removal  (Read 2226 times)

Offline ken4444

Fuel line twisting on removal
« on: November 16, 2018, 12:24:55 PM »
I'm trying to remove the fuel line to the front bowl of the carburetor but the metal tube is twisting.  I'm using a line wrench on the #1 nut below and pushing it toward the firewall, which is turning the nut left which should loosen it.  I was able to loosen the #2 nut a but but I don't know if that's correct.   How can I remove this fitting without breaking the tube?  (This is a Quickfuel carb but I have no idea which model.  I called Holley/Quickfuel but they were not able to figure it out after a few minutes.)

« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 12:27:15 PM by ken4444 »

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
Re: Fuel line twisting on removal
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 12:37:38 PM »
You have to hold the #2 while loosening the #1.  I know this sounds bad but that is how it is done....
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 12:38:03 PM »
Agreed.

Typically, twisting of the tube occurs when the carburetor fuel inlet nut is not properly supported with a backup wrench.  Spray around the tube where it enters the line nut using some lightweight penetrating oil (PB Blaster, Sili-Kroil, Liquid Wrench, WD-40, etc).  Support the carburetor fuel inlet nut (#2) with an appropriately sized open-end wrench to hold it stationary while loosening the line nut (#1) using a 6-point flare-nut wrench.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline ken4444

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 12:57:32 PM »
Thanks for the replies!  I will continue to hold #2 while turning #1.  I'll add some liquid wrench and let it soak in.

Here's the backstory: This all started when the truck would randomly not start.  I used an inline spark tester and was getting good and consistent power to at least one spark plug, so I ruled out ignition system problems.  I pulled the rubber fuel line that feeds the carb and it had plenty of fuel spray out.   Taking a tip from Roadkill, if I tapped on the carb with a rubber hammer, the truck would start.  This lead me to think the float was sticking.  I pulled out the needle and seat assembly and it looked OK.  I cleaned with carb cleaner but the problem still remained.  So now I want to check the float assembly to see what it's doing.

Offline ken4444

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 02:22:52 PM »
Okay, I got the fuel line off OK.  I was 90% of the way there already but I had to reposition the wrenches to get more leverage and the thing unscrewed without too much effort.  The float looked fine but I sprayed out the whole bowl assembly anyhow, and re-sprayed the needle and seat assembly.

I got it back together and it wasn't idling right.  Go figure.

I found this video that covers some tuning basics of this kind of carb: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70hhpX2tfsE . I had to adjust the front idle mixture screws. They were out about 1/2 turn and I brought them out to 1 1/2 turns.  The bowl level was high, so I had to screw the needle/seat assembly down a few turns.  The accelerator pump and pump arm  clearance was wrong, which makes sense because I thought I had to remove that screw to get the front bowl off.  According to this video, there's supposed to be .0014 clearance here which seems pretty picky. I was able to get it somewhere in there.

During all of the adjustments I didn't have any fuel delivery problems, but it needs to sit overnight and I'll know if it's sticking again or not.  I also worry that I'm going to need to rebuild the carburetor because I suspect the engine may still not be running right after a test drive.  Who knows if there's a vacuum leak somewhere.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 02:24:23 PM by ken4444 »