Author Topic: 700R kick down issues  (Read 1047 times)

Offline raysr11

700R kick down issues
« on: December 12, 2018, 07:18:41 PM »
'85 C10 LWB.  Came with a 305 700R.  I put a 350 in it with a cam.  I removed all the smog stuff along with the vacuum sensors on the engine.  The vacuum switch on the firewall by the brake booster is still connected. New kick down cable adjusted(I think) correctly.  I upshifts fine and downshifts but will not shift down when passing, I have to pull it down to 3rd.  When the lock up is plugged in on the drivers side of the trans it hunts around and locks up all over the place.  It will unlock when the brake is depressed momentarily then lock up again.  I am going to install a lock up kit(which one is recommended?) to fix the lock up issue but am confused on why it won't drop a gear when passing.  I have the Holley tv cable bracket on the 4150 carb.

Thanks

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: 700R kick down issues
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 04:40:48 AM »
700R4 does not use a kick down cable, it is the TV (throttle valve) cable and it sounds like it's adjusted too loose. Make sure you have the correct cable installed and properly adjusted, plenty of discussions on here that elaborate on adjustment if you search. Also if your final drive ratio and tire size is geared too high you will experience fast upshift and lockup. Lower gear ratios help improve the use of overdrive and lockup but if you are just putting around town and not at cruising speeds, you may want to leave it in drive instead of overdrive until you are at cruising speeds.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10