Author Topic: I need advice  (Read 4664 times)

Offline Andrew1989

I need advice
« on: December 13, 2018, 06:17:14 PM »
1977 GMC Sierra I will make this as short as possible, so please bare with me. I have a 77 sierra that I purchased for $500 in order to have something to put a motor/tranny I had completely redone with nothing to go into.

I am currently deployed and when I return, I need to sell this truck to get in a better financial state and recover 100% financially from a divorce.

I am at the stage to where I need to decide the most cost effective plan to finish body, glass, and paint so I can get the most money out of this truck as possible.

If anyone who has bought and sold these trucks could give me advice, and let me know what information they need about what I have done to the motor, tranny, driveline,truck, and what parts I have left to put on, it would be greatly appreciated. Here are some photos of trucks current state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: I need advice
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 07:05:03 PM »
When I got divorced, I sold one of my trucks and always regretted it. Not thinking that I can "always make more money" rather "you can always get another truck". Stupid logic because I do not regret getting divorced but I do regret selling that 75 K5 and of course, I made more money. It's tough to get a return on investment in the direction you are talking. If you are going to sell it, sell it as a project truck as is. List it high, sell the powertrain separately. Good Luck
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ッッッッッ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Andrew1989

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 07:36:20 PM »
I can definitely understand that. The good news is, the only real money I have invested is the drivetrain. I知 doing my build sheet now, and getting my solid numbers put together.

Any thoughts on what something like this would go for with engine bay correct (including rusted and green parts replaced), correct wheels/tires, and a 2-3k paint job?

I love c10s but I致e never owned or sold one before this.

Offline fitz

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 04:09:47 AM »
Thank you for Your service.

I'm with Vile, I would pull the drivetrain & sell off the rest.

As far as what's it worth when you are done? I paid $6k for 1 of my trucks, the.guy had over 20k worth of receipts for it.

What part of the Country are you from? I'd part that truck out if you have the time. I've parted out more trucks than I'd care to admit.

Here in Mass I could sell that bed for $1500 If it's as clean as it looks in the picture.  I got $500 for the last set of doors that I sold. Parting it out takes some time, but for Me, its quicker then building the truck.

Offline moregrip

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 06:51:07 AM »
Every truck I've sold I've regretted doing so. If your on deployment save up all you can for when you return = live a simple life for a while, enjoy the simplicity of that. I don't think selling your truck will ultimately make a difference one way or the other! Retired Navy Chief here with one divorce under my belt while on active duty.

Offline Andrew1989

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 07:57:49 AM »
Excellent advice gentlemen. I think I will get the truck done and take it to some shows this summer. If someone makes me an offer that puts me ahead, than so be it.

With how much I have in the heads, cam, rebuild, etc., it sounds like I won稚 get a very good ROI.

Offline Andrew1989

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 07:58:45 AM »
Thank you for Your service.

I'm with Vile, I would pull the drivetrain & sell off the rest.

As far as what's it worth when you are done? I paid $6k for 1 of my trucks, the.guy had over 20k worth of receipts for it.

What part of the Country are you from? I'd part that truck out if you have the time. I've parted out more trucks than I'd care to admit.

Here in Mass I could sell that bed for $1500 If it's as clean as it looks in the picture.  I got $500 for the last set of doors that I sold. Parting it out takes some time, but for Me, its quicker then building the truck.

Nashville, TN

Offline fitz

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2018, 02:13:08 PM »
I'm all for guys or girls building their dream car or  truck .  When you have the money & time, it's a great hobby.  You have already talked about selling the truck when It is completed.  I don't know many people that have built a "keeper" and sold It for a profit.. It just sounds like the timing isn't right for you right now in your life.

I don't know the details of your drivetrain, but would love to hear them when you have a minute.
Let's go over some guestimates.

Built small block = $5k +/-.
Built tranny w/converter = $1k +
Paint ( your quote) =3k
 Truck purchase $500

Right there you are at $9,500
That's without touching the new glass you mentioned, exhaust, interior, tires & rims, reinstalling the air cond etc.
I can easily see this turning into a $15-20k project.  What are these trucks selling for in your area?

I have seen far to many people that have to give up on their projects half way through. Others have been in so much such debt, they had to sell them before the paint dried after getting them back from the body shop.  Don't get me wrong, I'm the first 1 in line with my car trailer & a pocket full of cash waiting to buy them.  I always wondered, did they have a goal when they started the project?
You mentioned that you are trying to get your finances in order.  I don't see how building a 77 GMC will help achieve that goal.  I do see how you could make a few thousand dollars parting out that $500 score.

I say store that motor untill the time is right to start a project you plan on keeping.  If you lived  closer we could store that motor in my 69 camaro and to see what it can do at New England Dragway.....

Offline Andrew1989

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2018, 04:16:08 PM »
I'm all for guys or girls building their dream car or  truck .  When you have the money & time, it's a great hobby.  You have already talked about selling the truck when It is completed.  I don't know many people that have built a "keeper" and sold It for a profit.. It just sounds like the timing isn't right for you right now in your life.

I don't know the details of your drivetrain, but would love to hear them when you have a minute.
Let's go over some guestimates.

Built small block = $5k +/-.
Built tranny w/converter = $1k +
Paint ( your quote) =3k
 Truck purchase $500

Right there you are at $9,500
That's without touching the new glass you mentioned, exhaust, interior, tires & rims, reinstalling the air cond etc.
I can easily see this turning into a $15-20k project.  What are these trucks selling for in your area?

I have seen far to many people that have to give up on their projects half way through. Others have been in so much such debt, they had to sell them before the paint dried after getting them back from the body shop.  Don't get me wrong, I'm the first 1 in line with my car trailer & a pocket full of cash waiting to buy them.  I always wondered, did they have a goal when they started the project?
You mentioned that you are trying to get your finances in order.  I don't see how building a 77 GMC will help achieve that goal.  I do see how you could make a few thousand dollars parting out that $500 score.

I say store that motor untill the time is right to start a project you plan on keeping.  If you lived  closer we could store that motor in my 69 camaro and to see what it can do at New England Dragway.....

Ive got all the parts to get her right. headers, aftermarket ac kit, etc. I知 thinking I can get her done for 12-13k total invested,  painted and everything installed.

Only thing I知 not gonna have looking solid is for that number is interior. Putting together my receipt and build list as we speak.

I値l post it.

Here痴 interior

Offline Henry

• Frequent Member
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2018, 10:55:25 AM »
Hi Andrew:
I think in the restoration of a squarebody, the greatest single expense is getting an acceptable quality paint job. This involves fixing all those little details of dents, rust, and door/tailgate/hood fitting and alignment. I think the estimates on this thread of $3K are WAY low. Even if your truck is not a rust bucket, I think you will be hard pressed to get a good finish on the truck for less than $10K. Have you gone to a shop and showed them pictures of your truck and discussed what you want done? These old squarebodies have a lot more surface area of paint coverage than newer trucks much less cars and paint is expensive now...especially the bright colors such as red.
Regards,
Henry

Offline Andrew1989

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2018, 02:11:10 AM »
Ok. So here is the quick build list that I have receipts for. I知 adding $500 for miscellaneous things that jegs etc. is sending me receipts on. Added some more photos.

I can get the truck painted professionally from a buddy for $1000.

$9,122.00 in parts
$500.00 misc.
$1000 paint job.

Offline Henry

• Frequent Member
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2018, 11:48:29 AM »
Hi Andrew1989:
OK, so you can get a ridiculously good deal on the paint and bodywork...see if you buddy will also paint the interior while he is at it. What about the interior?...this could add up fast...here are the items you need to price:
1. Carpet set or rubber mat
2. Headliner or not
3. Seat cover (may also need foam cushion and new springs)
4. Seat belts...are they OK?
5. Dash pad
6. AC registers
7. Instrument bezel
8. Door panels

There are 3 or 4 parts suppliers that have these parts that you can check on prices. Items 2 and 3 you most likely will need a pro to install.

Regards,
Henry

Offline Andrew1989

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2018, 12:09:35 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I would rate the interior 6.5-7/10. Hes not really big into doing interior, he just paints and does body work solely.

Offline Henry

• Frequent Member
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2018, 11:27:32 AM »
Hi Andrew1989:
Well, all the interior work and installation can be the last thing to do on the restoration. If you are a shade tree mechanic you can do most of it yourself when you return from deployment. If you find an upholsterer to do your seat and headliner, usually these guys can also do interior parts installation. The list I gave you should allow you to find out just how much all the parts are going to be and you can do this on-line. Actually, re-covering a Chevy bench seat and headliner is so common that you could probably get a quote from a upholsterer in your home town on-line as well.
Regards,
Henry

Offline Andrew1989

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2018, 12:21:17 AM »
Thank you. Spoke with my uncle last night and he is doing the seat custom for me. Googling how to powdercoat plastic and I知 thinking I知 gonna tackle that one. I値l keep y誕ll posted with updates if you池e interested. Any if anyone wants a truck in the 10k to 15k range done, you know I値l have one