Author Topic: Riveted in panels with structual adhesive?  (Read 3906 times)

Rick

Riveted in panels with structual adhesive?
« on: February 27, 2002, 09:10:00 PM »
Don't want to name company but bought a kit to dimple, offset and rivet replacement panels onto my truck.  Live in northern midwest with lots of salt/brine mix on the roads most winters.  Can this method hold up to extremely cold?  Hope to use this system in situations that I can't get behind a weld to rustproof. Thanks in advance, Rick

Brian

panels
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2002, 11:01:00 AM »
I thought I may give you some insight about riveted panels.Most of the time the rivets are made of aluminum which when set against a steel panel causes a chemical reaction which will start the rivet corroding and if body putty is applied on top this will speed the process.Since most rivet repairs are in rust out areas the back side of the rivet will be exposed to the elements,and in your case road salt.The rivets will not make a watertight seal and your repair won`t last through the winter.The best way to put in repair panels is welding or panel adhesive.If the panel can not be clamped in place,use small sheet metal screws to hold the panel while the adhesive dries ,them remove and fill the small holes with body filler.Hope this helps  

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Re: panels
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2002, 08:37:00 AM »
I have been doing body work for almost fifteen years and the aluminum / steel corosion thing is correct. It should last for more than a winter. I will try to remember to post you all on how long mine lasts as I just cobbed up my 86 K20. Its not my proudest moment but its just a plow truck I riveted a wheel arch on and used fiberglass filler and finished it off with the mother load of bondo. Slaped some cheaplaquer based primer on, scuffed it and painted it. Oh yeh and the cab corners and smaller rust hole where filled with expandable spray foam and the fiber glass / bondo treatment was use on these as well.

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

bowtieman73

response on panel adhesive
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2002, 10:37:00 PM »
I am a body man and have been for 12 years and i agree
whith not useing rivets i use screws and remove them after glue sets up,another plus is i can under coat before i glue on the panel ,alot better than welding we
glue bedsides and doorskins and querter panels,i prefer
duramix products.

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Glue
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2002, 10:33:00 PM »
I have never used glue as I learned the old school. I know guys that use it and say its great, which it probably is. I have been prety much on my own on and off for the last eight years. I keep up with the new products and methods by asking alot of questions and reserching the product, also by following the directions  and not being afraid to buy and use stuff I've never used before. I don't have anything against glue just haven't tried it yet.  

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline Rebels454

Re: Riveted in panels with structual adhesive?
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2002, 05:00:00 PM »
I have a 87 S-10 Blazer and I put a half quarter on 2 years ago with Duramix and welded my pinch welds.  I love the Duramix it is quicker and it is structurally sound. Been doing body work for about 18yrs.  Try to stay away from the rivets unless you just want a quick fix.

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Stuff job.
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2002, 08:32:00 PM »
Well so far so good, got a few blisters starting to show but only when you get up close. From a distance it still looks prety darn good. The winter months and plowing 32 driveways will be the real test.